02-27-14, 07:44 PM   #1
Demonicpenguin
A Defias Bandit
Spell cast by conditions

I am only slightly familiar with creating addons, I make dumb stuff that applies to me.

I know you are only allowed to have one action per hardware click, but is this action allowed to based on conditions.

Example, If I have more than 25 rage, I should cast slam, if not I should cast battle shout.
02-27-14, 07:51 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not possible.

Things Addons/Macros can't do

Only conditionals allowed are the macro conditionals, resources, buffs or debuffs etc are not among them.
02-27-14, 07:59 PM   #3
Demonicpenguin
A Defias Bandit
Thank you, I don't see that in the list of things macros cannot do though. I know that an addon has the ability to tell me how much rage I have. I am guessing that this would be bannable, is that correct?
02-27-14, 08:39 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Demonicpenguin View Post
I am guessing that this would be bannable, is that correct?
The only way for pressing Button X to cast either Spell A or Spell B based on the amount of rage your character has would be to use a third-party program (outside of WoW) to intercept the Button X keypress before it reached WoW, snoop around in WoW's memory space (or "read" a number displayed on your screen), and then send a different keypress to WoW based on the amount of rage you had. In case it's not obvious after reading that description, yes, that would be a bannable offense.

Blizzard implemented these restrictions for a reason. They don't want you to be able to just push one button over and over to automatically cast the best spell on the best target, which is exactly what you'd be able to do if addons or macros were allowed to change which spell was cast based on conditions like rage, cooldowns, health, or buffs. It's just really not that hard to pay attention to those things, and -- if you're really that lazy -- there are plenty of "rotation helpers" that will tell you exactly which ability to use at any given moment so you don't have to use your brain at all.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Spell cast by conditions