06-19-16, 03:46 AM   #21
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
After spending way too long fixing a recursive issue, I've finally got an artifact scan implementation that I'm happy to use for both login and bank scanning. I'm currently working on caching relic information and associated reference functions. Hoping to get that finished sometime this week so I can upload the next update.

Next version will be standalone compatible and also have callbacks for cache updates, artifact xp and addon error debugging. There's also some wrapper functions for both the C_ArtifactUI and some related blizzard artifact methods.

There may be a couple of name changes to the public library functions.

06-20-16, 10:30 AM   #22
Rainrider
A Firelord
I also started a data store library for artifacts. If you are interested take a look at the code.

I still have to figure some stuff out, like changing relics, (un)learning perks and getting artifact knowledge updates without ARTIFACT_UPDATE, but for the most part it seems to be working fine. Also, appearance/model stuff is not handled since I don't see any use in it for now, but if someone needs it, it can be added.

06-21-16, 07:10 AM   #23
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
I also started a data store library for artifacts. If you are interested take a look at the code.

I still have to figure some stuff out, like changing relics, (un)learning perks and getting artifact knowledge updates without ARTIFACT_UPDATE, but for the most part it seems to be working fine. Also, appearance/model stuff is not handled since I don't see any use in it for now, but if someone needs it, it can be added.
I haven't looked too close at your code, but some things I've found out through trial and error that may help - specifically to do with artifact scanning and your bank.

GetNumObtainedArtifacts() includes your bank. Whilst this isn't problematic, it's something you may wish to keep in mind. I'm not sure why you're not getting the correct value right away, as this returns the correct value when called during the PEW event.

If you utilise BANK_CLOSE and ARTIFACT_CLOSE events for additional scanning, you'll need to add a small delay with C_Timer.After() in your code for both events. 0.1s is sufficient from what I can tell.

The reason is this: If the artifact frame is opened at the same time the bank frame is closed (ie: character and bank frame open, opening an artifact will cause the bank frame to close), you'll cause a stack overflow in the blizzard UI if you're attempting to scan (due to the ARTIFACT_UPDATE event) and store artifact data.You will need to wait for the ARTIFACT_CLOSE event before you can scan, but the scan also needs to wait so that the ARTIFACT_CLOSE event can be properly unregistered - else you'll land with a recursive function call issue when you Clear().

Fun times.

06-21-16, 12:59 PM   #24
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by kokomala View Post
If the artifact frame is opened at the same time the bank frame is closed (ie: character and bank frame open, opening an artifact will cause the bank frame to close), you'll cause a stack overflow in the blizzard UI if you're attempting to scan (due to the ARTIFACT_UPDATE event) and store artifact data.
You can unregister the event for UIParent and the ArtifactUI so you can scan in peace and reregister the event when you're done. This is similar to map scanning and unregistering WORLD_MAP_UPDATE temporarily to stop the WorldMapFrame from redrawing everything constantly while scanning.

06-21-16, 02:21 PM   #25
Rainrider
A Firelord
I do exactly as SDPhantom says - look up PrepareForScan() and RestoreStateAfterScan(). They are called only from InitializeScan(), which in turn is called either upon PEW, or PLAYER_EQUIPMENT_CHANGED (PEC), or from ForceUpdate(). Apart from that I only acquire data for the currently viewed artifact when ARTIFACT_UPDATE fires, without interfering with the stock ui, or at ARTIFACT_XP_UPDATE, but the API I use there already returns information without ArtifactFrame beeing open.

The game behaves differently during the initial login and subsequent loading screens. I wrote a simple addon that records every event after PEW until the return value of C_ArtifactUI.GetNumObtainedArtifacts() is what I expect (2 for my test character on the beta). The game loads character data persistently at the initial login and thus it is readily available at subsequent reloads. I'll attach the addon here so you could verify my results and see why I opted for a timeout at PEW, which is somewhat hacky and I don't like it. It someone finds a better way, I'd love that.

Yes, C_ArtifactUI.GetNumObtainedArtifacts() includes the bank. My scan accounts for that and it stops when all artifacts are found (see how I propagate numObtained in InitializeScan()).

I welcome further comments on the code and thank you for that. Feel free to use whatever you like from it. There is also some documentation here.

Also, if someone has an idea how to track hidden currencies, I'd love to know that. The artifact knowledge level is such a currency - see /run print(GetCurrencyLink(1171) or /dump GetCurrencyInfo(1171)).
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestEvents.zip (735 Bytes, 182 views)

06-22-16, 10:26 AM   #26
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
You can unregister the event for UIParent and the ArtifactUI so you can scan in peace and reregister the event when you're done. This is similar to map scanning and unregistering WORLD_MAP_UPDATE temporarily to stop the WorldMapFrame from redrawing everything constantly while scanning.
That's basically what I tried. I'll have to revisit my code - it's likely something that is painfully obvious and I'll feel silly about.

Originally Posted by Rainrider View Post
Yes, C_ArtifactUI.GetNumObtainedArtifacts() includes the bank. My scan accounts for that and it stops when all artifacts are found (see how I propagate numObtained in InitializeScan()).

I welcome further comments on the code and thank you for that. Feel free to use whatever you like from it. There is also some documentation here.
I really really like your code. Far cleaner than the stuff I come up with

Correct my tired mind though, but it looks like your bank scan doesn't actually activate as there is no event associated with scanning outside PEW, PEC and Force Update? Unless I'm mistaken, bank information is only available whilst the bank tabs are open, and during the first BANK_CLOSE event (neither of which you've registered).

Some info on some of your comments:
* Traits can be purchased on artifacts that are not equipped, however you must be at the forge with the UI open. ie: open forge with equipped artifact, then shift+right click on unequipped artifact to change. I don't think you can do the same with the trait respeccing, however I haven't specifically tried to break the UI in that way.
* Relics are part of the ARTIFACT_UPDATE event. Your ARTIFACT_XP_UPDATE code is redundant in calling ScanTraits(), although this may be entirely based on event order received by the client. You may want to consider shifting thr callback into the main ARTIFACT_UPDATE event as part of your relic scan. Food for thought.

Regarding your PEW delayed call:
I know that efficiency is a goal and understand the need to break out of the search loop, however if someone has an artifact in their bank you'll end up iterating over all their bag slots anyway. Have you considered using an arbitrary figure for numObtained that is purely used at login so that all bag slots are scanned only for login? Additionally, you're not unregistering your PEW event which only needs to fire once for the initial scan.

eg: local numObtained = GetNumObtainedArtifacts() or 10

Or some if then else variant.

This is basically what my code does (version currently being worked on). I'll scan everything at login, and future scans only occur if I have outstanding artifacts. I have a search function that picks up unscanned artifacts and places them into an array with bag locations, which is then passed to my scan function that processes them. I'm not terribly worried about scanning artifacts that have just been obtained (PEC), as they basically have no data to begin with and the player buys the first trait at the forge early on. Everything else will get picked up.

Last edited by kokomala : 06-22-16 at 10:34 AM.

06-23-16, 08:23 AM   #27
Rainrider
A Firelord
Correct my tired mind though, but it looks like your bank scan doesn't actually activate as there is no event associated with scanning outside PEW, PEC and Force Update? Unless I'm mistaken, bank information is only available whilst the bank tabs are open, and during the first BANK_CLOSE event (neither of which you've registered).
I wasn't aware of that, will investigate further.

* Traits can be purchased on artifacts that are not equipped, however you must be at the forge with the UI open. ie: open forge with equipped artifact, then shift+right click on unequipped artifact to change. I don't think you can do the same with the trait respeccing, however I haven't specifically tried to break the UI in that way.
That seems weird, I'll test this one too.

* Relics are part of the ARTIFACT_UPDATE event. Your ARTIFACT_XP_UPDATE code is redundant in calling ScanTraits(), although this may be entirely based on event order received by the client. You may want to consider shifting thr callback into the main ARTIFACT_UPDATE event as part of your relic scan. Food for thought.
ARTIFACT_XP_UPDATE is fine. Both events fire when purchasing traits. However I don't need to scan all artifact data on AXU, and I can check if I need a traits scan there. Also I can inform about artifact power changes without extra API calls. The simple way would be to scan traits and relics on AU when its argument is false.

Regarding your PEW delayed call:
I know that efficiency is a goal and understand the need to break out of the search loop, however if someone has an artifact in their bank you'll end up iterating over all their bag slots anyway. Have you considered using an arbitrary figure for numObtained that is purely used at login so that all bag slots are scanned only for login? Additionally, you're not unregistering your PEW event which only needs to fire once for the initial scan.

eg: local numObtained = GetNumObtainedArtifacts() or 10

Or some if then else variant.
A player could acquire 5 artifacts at most (4 druid specs and the fishing one). It is not a solution though, since bank info is still not there before visiting the bank.

I'm not terribly worried about scanning artifacts that have just been obtained (PEC), as they basically have no data to begin with and the player buys the first trait at the forge early on. Everything else will get picked up.
I also use PEC to inform addons that the player changed their equipped artifact. This is useful for addons that only want to display what's equipped.

06-23-16, 11:43 AM   #28
Rainrider
A Firelord
The relics are considered gems. You can get them from the item link. Socketing the relic triggers UNIT_INVENTORY_CHANGED and 3 ARTIFACT_UPDATE. If it is the equipped artifact PLAYER_EQUIPMENT_CHANGED will also fire.

06-23-16, 01:46 PM   #29
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Makes sense since it's piggybacking off the Socketting mechanic. It would be nice if there was trait data stored in the itemlink as well, but it's probably handled as a separate database table linked to the unique ID in the itemlink as a primary key. If it is stored somewhere accessible, it's probably a bitfield as the number of ranks are either 0-1 or 0-3, which are convenient values to be efficiently stored in bitfields.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 06-23-16 at 02:02 PM.

06-24-16, 01:29 AM   #30
Rainrider
A Firelord
@SDPhantom
Code:
:128826::137313:137412:::::110:254:256:9:1:727:210:3:1826:1467:3339:2:1726:1477:

:128826::137313:137412:137411::::110:254:256:9:1:727:210:3:1826:1467:3339:2:1726:1477:2:1826:1457:
This is how the item link changed after adding a life type relic to my artifact. 2:1826:1457 are the new additions at the end, plus 137411, which is the itemid of the relic. So maybe there is some traits info in there too, I don't know.

Edit:
If I do GetItemGem(GetInventoryItemLink("player", INVSLOT_MAINHAND), index) I get the following Gem links.
Code:
:137313::::::::110:254:::3:1826:1467:3339:::
:137412::::::::110:254:::2:1726:1477:::
:137411::::::::110:254:::2:1826:1457:::
The last part can be broken into
:numGemFlags:flag(1):...:flag(n-1):upgradeFlag:

3339 appears to be the upgradeFlag for warforged.
The second relic is heroic, but there seems to be no upgradeFlag for that.
I believe the last flag is the relic type (storm, blood and life here).

Last edited by Rainrider : 06-24-16 at 02:13 AM.

06-24-16, 03:06 AM   #31
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Would you be willing to test LibUtilities to see if the item string parse works with the additions and changes? I want to know if I have bugfixing to do with Legion.

The relevant API is DecodeItemString.

06-25-16, 08:29 AM   #32
Rainrider
A Firelord
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Would you be willing to test LibUtilities to see if the item string parse works with the additions and changes? I want to know if I have bugfixing to do with Legion.

The relevant API is DecodeItemString.
Code:
Dump: value=GetInventoryItemLink("player",16)
[1]="|cffe6cc80|Hitem:128826::137313:137412:137411::::110:254:256:9:1:727:210:3:1826:1467:3339:2:1726:1477:2:1826:1457|h[Thas'dorah, Legacy of the Windrunners]|h|r"
Code:
Dump: value=LibStub("LibUtilities-1.0"):DecodeItemString(GetInventoryItemLink("player",16))
[1]="|cffe6cc80|Hitem",
[2]="128826",
[3]="",
[4]="137313",
[5]="137412",
[6]="137411",
[7]="",
[8]="",
[9]="",
[10]="110",
[11]="254",
[12]="256",
[13]="9",
[14]="1",
[15]={
  [1]="7271"
},
[16]="210"
@topic
Fixed:
  • Only scan the bank when it is opened and inform the user if data is missing
  • Account for being able to purchase traits for non-equipped artifacts when at the forge
  • Inventory scanning does not try to socket every item of artifact quality anymore (like Artifact Research Notes)

Thank you, kokomala, for the pointers!

Pending:
  • Picking relics updates only if needed
  • Getting knowledge level without ARTIFACT_UPDATE
  • Flagging the currently active artifact (this is not necessary the equipped one)
  • Flagging banked artifacts (low prio since I want to avoid inventory management)

Do you guys need something else?

06-25-16, 10:19 AM   #33
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thank you Rainrider. I take it the lib works as intended then?

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

06-26-16, 04:47 AM   #34
Rainrider
A Firelord
@myrroddin
The first return should be just "item", but it contains the color too. The 15th return should be a table containing the bonusIDs for the first gem if I understand your documentation correctly, but it isn't.

I would have expected the following (the parts that differ are in red):
Code:
[1]="item",
[2]="128826",
[3]="",
[4]="137313",
[5]="137412",
[6]="137411",
[7]="",
[8]="",
[9]="",
[10]="110",
[11]="254",
[12]="256",
[13]="9",
[14]="1",
[15]=727,
[16]=210,
[17]={
  [1]=1826,
  [2]=1467,
  [3]=3339
},
[18]={
  [1]=1726,
  [2]=1477
},
[19]={
  [1]=1826,
  [2]=1457
}
Just ignore this if I misunderstood the idea, I have no experience with itemStrings.

Edit: LibStub is also not loaded from your lib. Your toc looks for LibStub\LibStub.lua, but it is LibStub\LibStub\LibStub.lua in your wowace package.

Last edited by Rainrider : 06-26-16 at 04:56 AM.

06-27-16, 12:04 PM   #35
Rainrider
A Firelord
Relic updates are now in as well as the knowledge level tracking. The knowledge multiplier can only be updated when an artifact is viewed, so if I pick a new level I just send a message that the multiplier is probably dirty.

The only two remaining features I consider right now are flagging the active and the banked artifacts. Do you guys need something else?

I also would appreciate feedback on code and functionality. Especially on the messaging part. Am I doing it right? Would you do it in another way and why? A simple "it looks ok" is also fine

Download from GitHub
Documentation

06-30-16, 08:53 AM   #36
Rainrider
A Firelord
The game will fail to switch artifacts when one of those occurs:
  • You change from a spec with an acquired artifact to one without (the previous artifact remains equipped)
  • You change from a spec without an acquired artifact to one with (the previous weapon remains equipped)
  • You change between specs with an acquired artifact and the artifact of the spec you changed to is in the bank (the previous artifact remains equipped)

so basically it only changes between two artifacts if both are directly available (speak either equipped or in the bags).

Also if you got yourself in a state where you have the wrong artifact equipped, the return of C_ArtifactUI.GetNumObtainedArtifacts() does not account for the inactive equipped artifact. It appears Blizzard scans your complete inventory (including the bank) when you call C_ArtifactUI.GetNumObtainedArtifacts() but excludes the items you cannot use

07-08-16, 11:21 PM   #37
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Will there be any library or addon for sharing artifact progression / information between players?

Since currently it's not possible to get that from the Inspect UI

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...nd-Order-Halls
You can't inspect people and see their Artifact unlock progress.

(Edit) it looks like Blizzard doesn't want that information to be freely available (?)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20745557148
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...nlock-progress
It is worth noting it is actually relatively difficult to see what someone's artifact is actually at.
Its not something you can inspect very easily on other players, correct ?

Yeah, it is worth saying that when we talk about the ilvl of the artifact, and the relics you are putting in to increase it, that's going to have a larger influence on the damage your're doing through that weapon in a lot of cases than progression unless we're talking like zero to end.
But yes, I don't believe it is possible to inspect other people and see artifact progress.
It'll help with the fear of a premade group saying "you haven't unlocked all your golds entirely just yet, so your're not invited yet"

Last edited by Ketho : 07-09-16 at 07:26 PM.

07-10-16, 10:44 AM   #38
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't see why not. The addon just needs to cache data and store it in a SavedVar, much like Altoholic does and transmit results when queried.

I have an analyzer I made that scans the artifact and dynamically plots your Artifact Power progression over a bar graph showing the leveling curve. This is in addition to listing all powers with their ranks and bonuses.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 07-10-16 at 10:51 AM.

07-13-16, 04:31 PM   #39
Rainrider
A Firelord
If I understand correctly Ketho is wanting something to tell the progression of characters he doesn't know. It is probably at least to some extent doable through the combat log as the golds are either active abilities or passives with on own effect, so they may have their own combat log entries. Output modifiers won't be that easy, but if you know the perk paths, then you can reconstruct the data at least partially.

07-14-16, 03:53 AM   #40
kokomala
A Fallenroot Satyr
Caching the artifact data as we are right now is enough to reconstruct the entire artifact, at least perk wise. It's a short jump to writing an extension that utilizes the library to share that data with other players via addon comm.

The option is either to write a plugin library that utilizes the cached information and sends it to other players when requested; or build it into the library itself. Then its up to the addon to do what it wants to do with that information. A plugin library would probably be cleaner, as it would have to handle multiple artifacts/players.

---
On another note, my library is kinda on-hold. It's gotten a little out of scope for what I intended and until I can set aside the time to go through and clean up the code and bring it back into scope, there won't be further updates.

There's a scanning idea I want to explore when I do that, which removes some of the issues surrounding scanning and GetNumArtifacts().

Last edited by kokomala : 07-14-16 at 04:04 AM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » Legion Beta archived threads » Getting artifact perks data