07-07-16, 05:36 PM   #1
Nem2k
A Defias Bandit
Create a frame containing the zone map

I've just started in the world of addon programming and it has been exceptionally difficult trying to find any documentation for the api

I'm trying to create a frame that contains a map of the current player zone. I have the frame created, but how does one get and display the map?
07-07-16, 07:06 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
So you want to create a Minimap?
http://wowprogramming.com/docs/widgets/Minimap

/edit: or do you just want to display a picture of the zone map? I'm confused - why not use the zone map?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-07-16, 07:28 PM   #3
Nem2k
A Defias Bandit
I actually just want a picture of the zone

My goal is to display the zone map/image in a frame when in a battleground, and then overlay it with various pieces of information

I took a look at the minimap frametype, but it still has all the functionality of a map (scrolling, zoom etc) that I dont want, however, I do want to retain the ability to show player positions, the pvp objective and their capture state etc.

Last edited by Nem2k : 07-07-16 at 10:53 PM.
07-08-16, 01:26 AM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's a little difficult since the WorldMapFrame loads the map as image tiles with overlayed detail areas. It isn't one complete image. It'll be much easier to just use the WorldMapFrame than to try to recreate it.
07-08-16, 01:55 AM   #5
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There's already a frame for this, it's called the BattlefieldMinimap and it comes up when you push shift+M.

You can see how it's created here (xml) and here (lua).
07-08-16, 11:38 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
(previously known as the Zone Map)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-08-16, 12:43 PM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you want to put various pieces of information on a map, have a look at the HereBeDragons-1.0 lib, or if you need notes rather than pins, HandyNotes, which uses HereBeDragons internally.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Create a frame containing the zone map