03-31-14, 11:57 PM   #1
ToolPunk
An Aku'mai Servant

AAAAAGH! I am in Desperate Need for PartySpotter!!

Why is it almost every addon in the game has at least one similar. Over the years the addon you have been using begins to fade and you end up turning to that similar addon or if you are lucky someone picks up your addon and keeps it alive. More rarely, your addon gets intergrated by Blizz.

I have experienced this with just about every addon I have used except one, PartySpotter.

In BGs this addon is extremely useful to me. With a quick look at the Battlemap I can see which class, group, player is where. I can see which node is being attacked, if those there have died or are just in battle. This is invaluable to me because this means without having to rely on new/noob/lazy/distracted players I can know what is going on and react quickly or "Call Out" for them. These are few of the main very useful things this addon does just in PvP.

Since it has not been updated there are errors, too many to count and all but a couple of the key features are broken.

PLEASE! Unlike other addons, I have not found anything like this addon that it so simple and yet so useful. Someone Please pick this addon up or point me in the direction of one that is similar in use, THANK YOU!

Last edited by ToolPunk : 04-01-14 at 12:00 AM.
04-01-14, 07:47 AM   #2
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It seems that spiel2001 took over in 2007, but sadly due to the "recent" situation with nUI I am unsure if he will keep updating it. In any case the last official update was back in 3.3 it seems. This means the addon is dead unless someone takes over development.

I won't promisse anything, but I can take a peak when I get home and see if it's something I can dive into.
04-01-14, 09:15 AM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There's nothing "recent" about this though
Both of Telic's addons adopted have not gotten any support other than the odd update with mostly user submitted fixes.

I'll try to take a look during the weekend as well (if Vlad doesn't patch up any outstanding issues before then)
04-01-14, 01:24 PM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

If I am to work on it, it's gonna be recoded, like 80% of it.

Feel free to start before me, if you wish, but I might drop by with a recoded version at some point.

I like the idea myself, more informative map dots of group members won't hurt if you ask me.
04-01-14, 06:12 PM   #5
ToolPunk
An Aku'mai Servant

In one of the lasts posts when I asked spiel2001 if it would be updated he did say he was planning on recoding it also and then that was it, I haven't heard anything since.

If you guys could get this addon going again that would be so AWESOME. I think it is a very useful addon in any aspect of the game and as I said I have not found any other like it. Thank you for anything you can do.
04-08-14, 11:20 PM   #6
ToolPunk
An Aku'mai Servant

Just wondering if you guys had any free time to check out PartySpotter anymore and if you made any decisions to rework it at any point. Thank you for whatever you can do.
04-09-14, 07:11 AM   #7
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ToolPunk View Post
Just wondering if you guys had any free time to check out PartySpotter anymore and if you made any decisions to rework it at any point. Thank you for whatever you can do.
I took a look but it's such a mess, the 'quick fix' option is out the window, it really needs a fairly substantial rewrite.

There's the usual 'wear and tear' from patches, ie obsolete events (like the roster change ones) and outdated API calls,
but there's also a host of other issues, ranging from a gazillion globals, bad hooks, deprecated stuff (like getn, get|setglobal) and much more.

The coding style is very much 'addons from 2004' and Spiel has done pretty much zero work on it so anyone trying to fix it starts from the bottom.
04-19-14, 07:41 PM   #8
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I will say it's an interesting idea - at least the core functionality of dots with status rings on the maps. Might be something to play around with sometime when I get a chance.
05-27-14, 12:35 AM   #9
ToolPunk
An Aku'mai Servant

Well if any of you decide to rework this addon or just create a new one that would be great because again I have found no other addon like this.

The core reasons I like this addon again are the ability to see everyone in your party/raid displayed on the Map/Battle Map/Mini Map, players are displayed colored by class and the status of the player is displayed by a ring around their dot (in battle, dead).

All of this on the Battle Map is especially important for me in PvP.

Thank you for any efforts.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » AAAAAGH! I am in Desperate Need for PartySpotter!!