10-11-14, 03:47 PM   #1
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Scrolling Combat Text Addon Undertaking

I'm going to start writing my own addon for scrolling combat text.

I used xCT+ for a while, however, the author has gone full bloat mode, and I'm not about that life.

I'm looking at making 4 individual frames, one for damage going out, one for damage coming in, one for power gains, like energy procs, and one for parries, blocks, dodges (to let me know I'm in front of the boss.) I may add a 5th frame for blade flurry support (to ensure I'm hitting all possible targets.)

Some questions that come to mind before I begin, will I have to write my own function to fade older values out, or do they fade out over time like the blizzard values? Can I somehow hook into the values from blizzards values and just reparent them, and change font etc? This would be done to ensure cpu utilization doesn't really change when compared to default ui.

Thanks!
10-11-14, 09:21 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by sirann View Post
Some questions that come to mind before I begin, will I have to write my own function to fade older values out, or do they fade out over time like the blizzard values?
Your code won't do anything without you telling it to. Whether that be through your own function or the reuse of another (if possible), you need to actually tell it to fade out. You could use a Message Frame, but you'll still want to make sure that they're set to fade out and after how long.

Can I somehow hook into the values from blizzards values and just reparent them, and change font etc? This would be done to ensure cpu utilization doesn't really change when compared to default ui.
Absolutely not. They're a part of the 3D world, not the UI, technically.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-12-14, 12:03 PM   #3
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Would a ScrollingMessageFrame also work, or does that only allow for mouse scroll functionality (something I don't want.)
10-12-14, 03:14 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
From http://wowprogramming.com/docs/widge...ngMessageFrame
ScrollingMessageFrame expands on MessageFrame with the ability to store a much longer series of messages, and to move up and down through them by setting horizontal and vertical scroll values, or by using PageUp and PageDown methods.

ScrollingMessageFrames also support hyperlinks—such as the links posted in trade chat by people with items they want to sell—and provides an OnHyperlinkClicked script for displaying information related to the contents of the link.
You don't need the added functionality.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-12-14, 04:43 PM   #5
sirann
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Perfect, thank you!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Scrolling Combat Text Addon Undertaking