10-22-14, 07:24 PM   #1
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Feature Request: Markdown Support

Is there any chance AddOn descriptions/changelogs could support Markdown? It'd be nice to have a single description format usable on both Curse and WoWI.

You've already got the editors set up for BBCode, so it may be tricky to add.
10-22-14, 08:00 PM   #2
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Choonstertwo View Post
Is there any chance AddOn descriptions/changelogs could support Markdown? It'd be nice to have a single description format usable on both Curse and WoWI.

You've already got the editors set up for BBCode, so it may be tricky to add.
On the technical side of things, it would be fairly simple to add. After all, it's just routing the stored text to a different parser. Merely adding the option as an additional field on a per addon basis, and making the necessary switch, would be enough to make it work.

The question is - whether or not they want to make it easier for authors to cross-post their addons.
10-22-14, 08:21 PM   #3
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
The question is - whether or not they want to make it easier for authors to cross-post their addons.
WoWI and Curse work "together" they are not enemys!
10-22-14, 08:26 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We have looked into this a lot and we want to do it. It sounds simple but when you get into the guts of it things are a little more complex. I want to do this though.

If we just implement it for just addon description and changelog it could be easier. We will need to add parsing to Minion although not complex just a lot of little things need changing disguising the size of this feature request. Gets even more complex when you get into comments and forum posts which I don't think we will do.

We always want to make things easier for authors, we aren't using bbcode to make it more difficult.

Last edited by Dolby : 10-22-14 at 08:28 PM.
10-22-14, 08:29 PM   #5
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

That's good to know, thanks.

I wouldn't expect comments/forum posts to support Markdown, since they're not as "permanent" as AddOn descriptions. You usually only write a comment/post once for a specific AddOn/thread rather than maintaining it over time on two sites like AddOn descriptions.
10-22-14, 08:32 PM   #6
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Tonyleila View Post
WoWI and Curse work "together" they are not enemys!
I'm not making any assumptions on the relationship between them; but considering they both provide the same service, there's certainly competition of some degree - even if it's completely friendly.

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
We have looked into this a lot and we want to do it. It sounds simple but when you get into the guts of it things are a little more complex. I want to do this though.

If we just implement it for just addon description and changelog it could be easier. We will need to add parsing to Minion although not complex just a lot of little things need changing disguising the size of this feature request. Gets even more complex when you get into comments and forum posts which I don't think we will do.

We always want to make things easier for authors, we aren't using bbcode to make it more difficult.
No - BBCode makes perfect sense as the default, considering the entire site uses it, and, since there is no wiki (for obvious reasons), there's no reason it would have any kind of markup parser in the first place.

Last edited by Digital_Utopia : 10-22-14 at 08:36 PM.
11-11-14, 09:43 PM   #7
MoonWitch
A Firelord
You could parse it through uhm -- well -- brain fail moment here.
Anyhow; pandoc like. I'll revisit this when awake.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Feature Request: Markdown Support