07-27-09, 01:50 PM   #1
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Post MessageBoard - Ingame forum-addon

MessageBoard (link)
(it's finally ready)

What is it?
MessageBoard is a 100% WoW addon that provides a guild-forum. Yes, a forum like the one you are reading right now.
There is no special needs at all. No web-server needed. No external software. No characters in WoW to be used as "servers". Nothing. Just install and play.
Requirements are:
o Install the addon
o Be a member of a guild
This is as easy as it gets

What can it do?
MessageBoard supports basic forum functionality. Extremely short; it has topics, messages, and avatars.
Topics can be either an announcement, sticky, or normal. This affects the sort-order as it would in a web-based forum.
Messages supports clickable item-links. These are inserted by dropping an item in the text-editor.
Messages can be any length.
Messages can be edited and deleted by its author and administrators.
Notifies of new messages by changing minimap-icon colour.

What's the catch?
Not much, actually. Basically, it's this:
1. When you log in, you must allow it 2-3 minutes to update any potential new messages.
2. Old messages will have to be deleted to keep memory usage at a sensible level. This is done automatically by message-count, and the setting for number of messages is controlled by an administrator.

What do I want?
A) Some feedback from people who are actually using it in a variety of situations and configurations. This is a very difficult addon to debug and test because of its rather complex build-up. It needs lots of people to run it in all the ways I cannot possibly think of.
B) Translators. If you're interested, let me know.

Sorry for the big image, but I couldn't change its size online

07-27-09, 02:10 PM   #2
lingering
A Cliff Giant

Is there any way to get an option for non guilds? such a raid groups could use?
07-27-09, 02:21 PM   #3
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by lingering View Post
Is there any way to get an option for non guilds? such a raid groups could use?
Well... I didn't say anything about the TODO-list. There are a few things planned. One being alliance-forums, which is not top-of-the-list at the moment, but that may change if it proves to be most wanted.

Technically it's sort of straight forward, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

The alliance-forum is thought to work much like a custom chat-channel that many guilds use to communicate with. This will of course enable any configuration to work, meaning a channel with password where you let selected people in. Once set up, it will be a matter of selecting with a drop-down list.
07-27-09, 02:46 PM   #4
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Absolutely brilliant idea!
07-27-09, 05:19 PM   #5
lingering
A Cliff Giant

awesome work, i will def keep track of this :-)
09-06-09, 12:36 PM   #6
ybe
An Aku'mai Servant

MessageBoard is now at version 0.60, and with this release I have a request from all you UI authors. MessageBoard now supports custom layouts and skinning, and it would be cool if some of you UI authors would play with it and make MessageBoard look like your design. It would be a nice addition for your UI and my add-on.

The reason I say both layouts and skinning is that all on-screen elements can be moved around, sizes can be changed, anchors can be changed, fonts changed, colours, and you can add new textures in any layer you want. It's all controlled by adding a lua-file with your design, or you can set the data directly in memory from another add-on.
It is all explained in the file "layout.txt" that comes with the add-on.
02-16-14, 07:11 PM   #7
ZeroRaine
A Kobold Labourer
New message chat notification

Testing out message board for 2 days now, and it is very very useful. Quick question though. Anyway to disable the add on from displaying text notifications in the chat box? Perhaps though the .lua? The fact that the icon lights up is more then enough notice for me.

Thanks in advance
02-16-14, 08:11 PM   #8
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by ZeroRaine View Post
Testing out message board for 2 days now, and it is very very useful. Quick question though. Anyway to disable the add on from displaying text notifications in the chat box? Perhaps though the .lua? The fact that the icon lights up is more then enough notice for me.

Thanks in advance
You'll have much better luck making inquiry at Curse.
This thread was dead for about 5 years until your post

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » MessageBoard - Ingame forum-addon