08-14-14, 11:19 PM   #1
jessica
A Cyclonian
help me understand lau errors

hi guys, i keep getting this, first and foremost I want to understand how to read it and know whats causing it, cause i really couldnt

Code:
Message: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_DebugTools\Blizzard_DebugTools.lua:-1: script ran too long
Time: 08/15/14 08:10:17
Count: 1
Stack: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_DebugTools\Blizzard_DebugTools.lua: in function `ScriptErrorsFrame_OnError'
[string "Interface\FrameXML\BasicControls.xml:<Scrip..."]:18: in function <[string "Interface\FrameXML\BasicControls.xml:<Scrip..."]:4>
[C]: in function `PlaySound'
Interface\FrameXML\TargetFrame.lua:160: in function `OnEvent'
Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:673: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:671>

Locals: (*temporary) = "Interface\FrameXML\TargetFrame.lua:160: script ran too long"
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "script ran too long"
_ScriptErrorsFrame = ScriptErrorsFrame {
 0 = <userdata>
 warnType = <table> {
 }
 messages = <table> {
 }
 close = <unnamed> {
 }
 previous = <unnamed> {
 }
 indexLabel = <unnamed> {
 }
 locals = <table> {
 }
 title = <unnamed> {
 }
 times = <table> {
 }
 seen = <table> {
 }
 count = <table> {
 }
 order = <table> {
 }
 next = <unnamed> {
 }
}
Like when I see this, how to determine which addon exactly is causing it, and how to fix it, thanks.
08-14-14, 11:51 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a generic error that means "something is taking too long". It's impossible to say from the error itself what addon is causing it, since the error itself occurred in Blizzard code, and the stack trace (the list of filenames and line numbers) doesn't go back far enough to find out where it started.

Can you provide any other information? What were you doing when the error occurred? Does the same error consistently occur when you're doing that thing? Were you in combat? What addons are you using?
08-15-14, 01:48 PM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by jessica View Post
Code:
Stack: ...e\AddOns\Blizzard_DebugTools\Blizzard_DebugTools.lua: in function `ScriptErrorsFrame_OnError'
[string "Interface\FrameXML\BasicControls.xml:<Scrip..."]:18: in function <[string "Interface\FrameXML\BasicControls.xml:<Scrip..."]:4>
[C]: in function `PlaySound'
Interface\FrameXML\TargetFrame.lua:160: in function `OnEvent'
Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:673: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UnitFrame.lua:671>
This stack information isn't truncated, it starts with the OnEvent handler UnitFrameThreatIndicator_OnEvent() and is entirely within the default UI. No addons are causing this as no part of the stack refers to any addon path. (Blizzard_DebugTools is a LoD module of the default UI and doesn't count in this explanation.)

Also, a "script ran to long" error only occurs when in combat. This is Blizzard's attempt in limiting the runtime of any code in favor of allowing the player control of their character in a critical moment such as this. There are many examples like this in which Blizzard puts restrictions on the Lua engine and their own code doesn't follow those restrictions very well.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 08-15-14 at 01:51 PM.
08-16-14, 01:27 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
This stack information isn't truncated, it starts with the OnEvent handler UnitFrameThreatIndicator_OnEvent() and is entirely within the default UI. No addons are causing this as no part of the stack refers to any addon path. (Blizzard_DebugTools is a LoD module of the default UI and doesn't count in this explanation.)
Right, but it's very unlikely that the Blizzard UI is itself causing this error unless -- maybe -- the OP is on an extremely old/slow machine that's struggling to run the game at all. It's far more likely that an addon is hooking default unit frame functions in a way that's causing the problem, but without a list of addons being used, it's hard to say.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Also, a "script ran to long" error only occurs when in combat.
I've gotten it after coming through a loading screen as well, though not recently.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » help me understand lau errors