10-17-14, 01:49 AM   #1
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Possibility of including an executable in AddOn

I'm the author of PetBattleMusic, which uses a PowerShell or Windows Script Host JScript script to populate a Lua file with a list of music files and their durations.

Unfortunately Windows doesn't support metadata like audio length for Ogg files, so I need some sort of external tool to get this value.

I was considering including the ogginfo executable (from the vorbis-tools package) in my AddOn so Windows users don't have to install it themselves.

You have restrictions in place for executable files (which makes sense), but I was wondering whether I'd be able to include this in my AddOn since it's open source and distributed by Xiph (the organisation that develops the Ogg standard).
10-17-14, 10:13 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I think that is reasonable. I didn't double check the license but as long as its free to distribute there shouldn't be a problem.

At times it may take a little longer to approve your updates with that file included. Not all file moderators can check exes so at times it will have to wait for some one that can look at it.
10-17-14, 10:16 AM   #3
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thanks for the response. vorbis-tools is GPL2, so I think it's okay to distribute it as long as I include the license and a link to the source code.

Now I just need to get Curse to let me include it.

Edit: Sadly Curse's repository system doesn't allow executables at all (there's no way to lift the restriction on a per-repository basis), so I've decided to stick to a download link in the description.

Thanks for the response anyway, Dolby.

I had to perform some dark magic with Git to effectively "delete" the commit that I added the executable in so CurseForge wouldn't reject any attempts to push new changes. I probably should have made sure it was possible to include the executable before I committed it.

Last edited by Choonstertwo : 10-17-14 at 11:16 AM.
10-22-14, 08:08 PM   #4
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Choonstertwo View Post
Thanks for the response. vorbis-tools is GPL2, so I think it's okay to distribute it as long as I include the license and a link to the source code.

Now I just need to get Curse to let me include it.

Edit: Sadly Curse's repository system doesn't allow executables at all (there's no way to lift the restriction on a per-repository basis), so I've decided to stick to a download link in the description.

Thanks for the response anyway, Dolby.

I had to perform some dark magic with Git to effectively "delete" the commit that I added the executable in so CurseForge wouldn't reject any attempts to push new changes. I probably should have made sure it was possible to include the executable before I committed it.
Yeah, Curse is more than a little anal retentive about what they accept. They'll even reject a zip file that contains .DStore and/or __MACOSX files.
10-23-14, 09:37 AM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Digital_Utopia View Post
Yeah, Curse is more than a little anal retentive about what they accept. They'll even reject a zip file that contains .DStore and/or __MACOSX files.
Some of that is due to how WoW handles files in AddOn directories: It indexes them all, which increases load times. Completely unacceptable for files that have nothing at all to do with WoW itself.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
10-23-14, 10:02 AM   #6
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Some of that is due to how WoW handles files in AddOn directories: It indexes them all, which increases load times. Completely unacceptable for files that have nothing at all to do with WoW itself.
Nice someone points this out - Will this include readme files and changelog txts inside the addon folders? Because for myself I always remove all of them and I always had the feeling its faster after removing about 200 of this useless files inside my addon folder.
10-26-14, 11:01 PM   #7
Digital_Utopia
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Well that's completely understandable for addons. But if their filter can detect whether or not your addon has the correct folder structure (which it can), and said filter can detect whether or not said upload actually is an addon or not (which it also seems to be able to do), then there's nothing preventing them from confining that rule specifically to addons.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Possibility of including an executable in AddOn