02-11-15, 04:17 PM   #1
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Mobile Site

Does WI have or is considering a mobile site? I'd love it if I could read the site in a mobile version.
02-11-15, 05:26 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If I remember correctly, you should be able to use the forums using Tapatalk.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-11-15, 06:28 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

I tried Tapatalk very briefly, maybe a year ago. In the free version you're only able to access a small number of "featured" forums, and WoWInterface isn't on the list. In order to access more forums you have to buy the paid version of the app for $30 or some other ridiculous number that's way more than I'm willing to pay for a mobile app that does nothing but reformat a web page to make it require slightly less scrolling to use. It also requires the forum operator to install something on their end to enable the app to talk to the forum database.

Things may have changed since then -- I can't tell from their website, which doesn't seem to provide any info for users, nor from their Google Play page, which lists the app price as "free with in-app purchases" which is an annoying way app creators hide the price of their apps -- but if not, it's not really a viable option.
02-11-15, 06:29 PM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Mobile Site

I didn't pay for the app and I can access everything. I've been using it ever since I enabled tapatalk here. I'm on ios, havent tried it on android so cant say for sure its the same there.

I haven't even seen a way to pay for tapatalk?

Last edited by Dolby : 02-11-15 at 06:34 PM.
02-11-15, 09:35 PM   #5
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Well, it seems to be working so far. I report back if I have any problems.

Thanks!
02-12-15, 11:55 AM   #6
10leej
A Molten Giant

I'd much rather have a mobile site. I hate tapatalk.
02-12-15, 01:46 PM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just use the web browser on my phone. Isn't really that complicated.
02-12-15, 03:11 PM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Same here, though I admit posting is a bit awkward... but that's not specific to forums, that's just a general issue with any long text input in a mobile web browser.

Well, also the navigation menu at the top doesn't work well in mobile browsers. It's impossible to access any of the links in the sub-menu because there's no "hover" on a phone. Clicking does open the sub-menu, but also follows the top-level link too quickly to click on any of the sub-menu links. There was a thread about this a while back, but the verdict seemed to be "works on long press for me, too bad for you" and nothing ever came of it; might be worth noting that it doesn't work for me in any of the 5 browsers installed on my Android 4.4 phone (default browser, Lucid Browser which I believe is webkit based like the default browser, Firefox, Opera Classic, or Opera).
02-12-15, 03:34 PM   #9
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

I've tried it but what Phanx said. I could never get just the new posts no matter how I tried to zoom in.
02-12-15, 10:11 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I didn't pay for the app and I can access everything. I've been using it ever since I enabled tapatalk here. I'm on ios, havent tried it on android so cant say for sure its the same there.

I haven't even seen a way to pay for tapatalk?
There's the regular free Tapatalk and then there's the paid version called Tapatalk Pro. Tapatalk Pro is 99 cents on Google Play. I couldn't remember how much I paid for it, so I looked on my Google Wallet. EDIT: I think the 99 cents was for an update... looking further down in my purchases I see I paid $2.99.

I can't recall with the free version, but I don't think you can see what it is you're missing unless you compare the Pro version with the free version.

Last edited by Petrah : 02-12-15 at 10:16 PM.
02-13-15, 02:32 AM   #11
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
There was a thread about this a while back, but the verdict seemed to be "works on long press for me, too bad for you" and nothing ever came of it
I started that thread several months ago. While it's still an outstanding issue, I honestly don't use my phone to browse the forums enough to continue pushing it.
02-13-15, 03:07 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

I honestly don't use my phone to browse the forums enough to continue pushing it.
Yeah, neither do I... it's the same reason I don't buy a laptop. Would be really handy 3 times a year, but pointless the rest of the time.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Mobile Site