06-24-16, 07:05 PM   #1
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
pattern matching

Code:
local eMail = GetAddOnMetadata(AddOn, "X-Email"):lower()
In the above line of code, how would I get it to find/match/not freak out if the user has any number of unknown to me variant spellings of "email"?

What I really need is the "email" part, and have zero use for "X-" (I know how to gsub that out after the ToC lookup), but just off the top of my head:
  • X-Email
  • X-eMail
  • email
  • eMail
  • EMail
  • etc
These are obviously not the same, and if variant exists in MyAddOn, a different variant could exist in YourAddOn.

Last edited by myrroddin : 06-24-16 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot the code tags
06-24-16, 07:33 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

As far as I know, Blizzard ignores non-standard tags that don't start with "X-". On whether or not tags are case-sensitive, I don't know and it would be something to test. If it is case-sensitive, you'd have to check each variant as there is no way to pass a pattern through the API to fetch the tag.
06-24-16, 08:09 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Is this for your LibAboutPanel rewrite? If an author wants to use LibAboutPanel, and they want their email to display on the panel in-game, then they should format/spell it the way you tell them to.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-16, 08:28 PM   #4
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes it is about the rewrite. But also about testing the GetAddOnmetadata API. Turns out that SDPhantom was correct:
  • Capitalization does not matter, both x- and X- had the same result (same with Version and version)
  • Non-standard fields require X- in front of them

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » pattern matching