07-18-16, 12:25 PM   #1
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Scale entire frames

I am the maintainer of Skillet and I received an enhancement ticket about the text being too small. It turns out that the ticket author upgraded from a 22" to a 30" monitor because of his eyes. While World of Warcraft has a UI Scale, I'm wondering if it is possible to do the same thing on an addon by addon basis.

As you know, crafting a complex frame with lots of parts is a manual effort. What I want to know is if it wasn't designed to be scaled in the first place, is it possible (i.e. easy) to add a scaling factor at a high enough level to not render all the previous manual effort obsolete? If so, how?
07-18-16, 12:49 PM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Did I miss something with frame:SetScale(x)? That would be independent of the UI scale, sort of. If the UI scale is 0.7, then setting frame:SetScale(1) wouldn't change anything.

You might also want to look at GetEffectiveScale.
07-18-16, 01:40 PM   #3
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Did I miss something with frame:SetScale(x)? That would be independent of the UI scale, sort of. If the UI scale is 0.7, then setting frame:SetScale(1) wouldn't change anything.

You might also want to look at GetEffectiveScale.
You didn't miss anything, I did! The previous authors implemented a scale slider in the Skillet Options. I just needed some guidance in what to look for and "SetScale" was the clue. I'd never used it before and there are comments like "Removed all :SetScale() calls, which crashes the Mac client" obviously designed to mislead me.

Thanks for kicking me in the right direction!
07-18-16, 07:31 PM   #4
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you have an option for a slider, multiply the SV value by UIParent:GetEffectiveScale() or it will look really weird.
Code:
frame:SetScale(myDB.scale * UIParent:GetEffectiveScale())
07-18-16, 07:38 PM   #5
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Come to think about it, you might also want to read the notes on the main project page of LibUtilities. After a fair bit of R&D, the Y axis pixel height of any given screen important, especially if the number of pixels >= 1200 (which your user probably has).

I'm just musing that his whole UI scale may be wrong, or at least not optimal.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Scale entire frames