12-24-13, 06:02 PM   #1
Silberweide
A Murloc Raider
Question WIM - Battletag History?

Hi

As much as I love WIM: Does somebody know if it is possible to have it save a history depending on the battletag name and not for each charakter seperatly?
Here's an example:
A good friend of me and I are chatting. He's on his mage, I'm on my hunter. He relogs to his warrior, I stay on my charakter. Later, I relog to a priest and he changes to his deathknight.
If I want to re-read our history of that evening, I have to remember who logged to which charakter and when he/I did so It's getting really bothersome, since both of us have multiple charakters and we tend to switch often :/
Let's say his Battletag-Name's YYYQQQ: I have a window opened and see his Bn-Name all the time. It just changes colors depending on his charakter's class.

Is somebody else having this problem and knows about a workaround? I tried searching for a solution but their forum looks dead and I haven't found someone with a similar problem yet in any other forum I know about

Help would be much appreciated.
12-24-13, 06:57 PM   #2
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Maybe it solves the problem if you don't write to his chars but to his batteltag name?
12-25-13, 02:35 AM   #3
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
IIRC its not possible to know for an addon who you are talking with when battletag or bnet-id are used.
12-25-13, 05:38 AM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Addons can definitely tell that two characters belong to the same BattleTag friend. The only info an addon can't get is the real name of a Real ID friend. The BattleTag is fair game, and the presence ID does not change during a session, so as a last resort you can (as you did before BattleTag was implemented) at least match all your friend's characters that you saw during your login session, and store that info for future reference.
12-25-13, 06:37 AM   #5
Silberweide
A Murloc Raider
@Tonyleila : Maybe I haven't been clear in that part I am writing to his Battletag name, not to his charakters. WIM just saves our conversation to the charakter my friend is logged on to, not to his battletag name.
Before I switched to WIM, I used Whisp. Whisp saved a history (as far as I remember) via the battletag names of my friends, so I'm curious why I haven't found something similar in WIM.

@Phanx : What do you mean with "match all your friend's characters that you saw during your login session, and store that info for future reference"? It is already some kind of mental training to remember who logged to which charakter during a long night - or did you mean something different ?
12-25-13, 09:20 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Silberweide View Post
@Phanx : What do you mean with "match all your friend's characters that you saw during your login session, and store that info for future reference"? It is already some kind of mental training to remember who logged to which charakter during a long night - or did you mean something different ?
No, I meant exactly what my post said. I was talking about what an addon can do. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was talking about human memory training...

For example, if you are logged on for 2 hours, and during that time one of your BattleTag or RealID friends logs onto 3 different characters, an addon can easily identify that those 3 characters belong to the same BattleTag or RealID friend, and store that information for future reference.

When the same friend logs into one of those 3 characters again the next day, and then logs into 2 new characters, the addon can easily tell that those 2 new characters belong to the same account as the 3 you already saw. Now the addon can group whispers from all 5 characters together.

My post was in response to Rilgamon's post that (incorrectly) said an addon can't tell who you're talking to when you're talking to a BattleTag or Real ID friend.
12-26-13, 03:30 AM   #7
Silberweide
A Murloc Raider
Smile

Ah, alright, sorry I misunderstood you

I've asked this question in another forum and got an answer of the author. In the newest alpha, battletag-whispers are saved via the battletag name

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » WIM - Battletag History?