08-23-11, 06:39 PM   #1
Ajiswif
A Defias Bandit
Groundbreaking idea..Targeting Recital!

Hello Wowinterface! The only forums i really check out for anything WoW-related is arenajunkies. And as you guess i pvp alot. For a while i've been getting used to all the keybinds and macros i have to use for targeting as a rogue. AddOns like Bartender, Powerauras, Platebuffs, Xperl, and Quartz are a must have for me. For a while now i've been pondering an idea i haven't seen in any addon, currently in development or currently used today. This idea was pretty easy to think up, and yet it is pretty groundbreaking. It changes the whole way anyone would target in WoW if they are using their mouse like they should (mouseturning)

This idea came from when i added a very smooth aura into my UI with powerauras for when i was in stealth. I tweaked this aura a bit to glow when i was out of stealth. This was a usual customization probably 6 million people do to their ui,. But when i was looking at a certain spot on this aura i thought if i could put some type of targeting recital that would target whoever or whatever was inside this recital by the press of a hotkey, I can easily use this method to target so much better in the game while im controlling my character. I could maybe hit tab or scroll up to target whoever is in the recital or hit F1 and scrolldown to focus whoever's in the recital. No longer would i have to Tab or mouseover scroll, which both of these methods are iffy at best and the only way to correctly target something easy is hotkeys for an arena setting.

Now if this was implemented into an addon, it would completly change the whole feel of the game for alot of players.
I have a few examples of what i'm talking about here.... (note the poorly penciled in lines that somewhat resemble a target recital)

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...allrecital.png

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...rgerecital.png

So basically you can see somewhat where this recital would go, and since you have 3d control of your character while using the mouse, it would be great to have this recital to make targeting a lot easier.

Another thing to add to this idea would be to put in a very large selection of different recital skins to choose from, and also to move your recital among the screen (x and y) Maybe include some magic arcane bubble or 4 daggers going towards a center point in a circle

I'm not really into making addons for WoW but i have made plenty for some games i used to play (Oblivion and morrowind, good times) so i'm not the type of person who would try and engrave my name to anyones art. I am just giving this idea out to the Addon creating community to see if anyone wants to take the intiative to start this project. I think it would be a huge thing if it was put together right.
08-23-11, 07:51 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Oh, you mean a reticle. Besides the fact that the camera is not stationary behind the character and even moves when terrain interferes with its angle, this is not possible. Targeting is a secure action and requires a hardware event (ie, you clicking the mouse or using a keybind).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-24-11, 04:21 AM   #3
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
While it wouldn't work in the traditional sense (like in a 3rd person shooter, like Gears of War), it can work as a Nameplate Mod possibly?
08-24-11, 05:28 AM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
An addon could be made to:
  1. replace or add to the nameplate graphics of the current target a reticle graphic.
    This does not change the targeting mechanics at all, you'd still need to click or tab to a target, it would just make the target stand out more.
  2. poll mouse-over and replace the cursor graphic with a targeting reticle when the mouse-over is not also your current target.
    This also does not change the targeting mechanics at all, you'd still need to actually click or tab to the new target.
What the original poster wants (reading as much between the lines) is a way to
tie targeting to the camera so that you could for example
press a key-bind to target whatever is under the reticle while mouse-turning (ie no mouse cursor is visible)

While this: "being able to target using the mouse and a key-bind without going out of mouse-turning mode even momentarily" would indeed be a groundbreaking change for PvP (and not only)
it is also as Seerah already pointed out absolutely impossible to make.
It is not supported by the game engine is another way to put it.
It's not a matter of the idea not having come up before or the willingness / coding ability of addon authors...
it is literally not possible within WoW.

Edit: It might however be a good idea to post in official suggestions forum as something to be added to the game for the next expansion

Last edited by Dridzt : 08-24-11 at 05:42 AM.
08-24-11, 09:15 PM   #5
Ajiswif
A Defias Bandit
Well,. what i meant was,.

Maybe somehow when you click both buttons (or just hold onto your right mouse button to look around freely) this reticle could pop up at a certain point you assign onto the window.

The target reticle would be maybe the mouse anchored to the assigned point from the point it was at before you hit both of your mouse buttons (Like whenever your mouse pointer dissapears when you hold the right mouse or left , or both mouse buttons down)

Meaning the Pointer would be stationary at whatever point, and visable, able to target, while you can still control your character and camera with your mouse.

That way, it would be like clicking onto your target, but maybe have the option to bind this "click" to a different button, like if it worked as a mouseover + keypress effect. This could maybe work for Focus too.

I didn't know the game engine removed all of the pointer function when you held either the left or right mouse buttons down, i thought it just made your pointer translucent for visability reasons.

Maybe somehow there would be a way to "target whatever player is at this assinged point on the screen with this keybind"

So there's no way to do either of these?

Last edited by Ajiswif : 08-24-11 at 09:21 PM.
08-24-11, 09:29 PM   #6
nelothi
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
No. you cant change how mouse clicks interact with the game world.

Neither one can be done.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Groundbreaking idea..Targeting Recital!