06-02-10, 01:09 PM   #1
slopoke
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Curious cat questions

I started to use this reposistory for one main reason: the installer/updater worked in Linux. Curse didn't. My guild GM is somewhat addon happy and defaults to Curse. I can't find some of them here and am forced to use Curse for those. Some no longer update here. DBM, for instance.

My questions are: who has the larger repository, and, why don't some authors upload to both?

slopoke
06-02-10, 01:13 PM   #2
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
1. <no answer>
2. Because it's a huge hassle for most people to maintain their add-ons at several independent sites. There are of course other reasons that don't base themselves in pure laziness.
06-02-10, 01:46 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
haste pretty much answered it for me. My most downloaded addons here I usually post on curse but this site will always have the most updated version. Periodically I will update curse but the for the most part, unless the addon is broken I don't worry about updating both sites.
06-02-10, 03:08 PM   #4
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

WoWInterface definitely has the larger repository of addons. There have only ever been one or two very small things I've specifically wanted to download from elsewhere and, to be honest, I could probably have dealt without them.
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-02-10, 03:12 PM   #5
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

The only other site I download addons from would be WoWace for some addons because that site tends to get updated first.
06-02-10, 03:35 PM   #6
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

If you want to get into specifics... WoWI has about 8000+ files while Curse has 4000+ files. Though, you cannot easily just "compare" them because they both have different addon policies. For example, WoWI allows Compilations while Curse does not.
06-02-10, 03:48 PM   #7
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Wella View Post
WoWInterface definitely has the larger repository of addons. There have only ever been one or two very small things I've specifically wanted to download from elsewhere and, to be honest, I could probably have dealt without them.
Chatter for one thing >.> It's here, but not updated.
06-02-10, 03:59 PM   #8
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
The only other site I download addons from would be WoWace for some addons because that site tends to get updated first.
Wowace is part of the curse network/company. Curse just lists the AddOns from Wowace with release quality. And then there is also curseforge, for people that don't want to develop an AddOn using the Ace framework or a different game.
Originally Posted by wowace.com
CurseForge.com, WowAce.com, and SC2Mapster.com are all run on the same hardware. The distinction arises through different moderators, a different template scheme, different settings, and different games (though CurseForge supports all games, WowAce is WoW-only and SC2Mapster is Starcraft 2-only). They all run on the same web service and use the same database, though.
and
Originally Posted by wowace.com
CurseForge is the development portal for its big-brother-site, Curse.com. Curse.com is the host of addons for several different games. So, it would stand to reason that CurseForge is the place where developers for all of those games come to do their thing.

So, what the heck is WowAce? Well, WowAce is a developer community for just World of Warcraft addons. In fact, it was initially started with the idea of just Ace2 and Ace3 Library based addons. If you are here to learn how to package an addon, then you probably already know what Ace is; we won’t be going into details. (If you really need an explanation, there are several resources available on the Ace3 project page.) It isn’t uncommon, however, to see discussions about non-Ace addons at WoWAce.

With their backgrounds in mind, we can now compare them. All addons uploaded to both sites will be available to users via the Curse Client. Projects, repositories, tickets, etc., are created, managed, and viewable at both sites. Also, forum posts will be viewable at both websites. (There is one exception, which we will get to in a moment.) This is because both sites use the same server(s) and the same databases. What is viewable on WowAce is very likely to be seen and synced with CurseForge.

There are only a few minor differences. One is obviously the visual design (skin) of the web sites. Another small difference is that the forums’ hierarchies are not exactly the same. Most posts to the forums will be viewable on both web sites, but not always. This really isn’t a factor though—the most knowledgeable developers and main contributors seem to make it a point to browse both forums.

Now that you have all the details of each web site, the question still remains: Which will you use? In all honesty, it is a personal choice. CurseForge is a little heavier on the graphics, so on a slow internet connection, the site might run a little slower for you. If you’re intending on developing for more than just World of Warcraft, then WoWAce might not be the most logical place for you. Just pick one and stick with it. A technical breakdown of the similarities and differences is available here. For the remainder of this guide, we will be referring to both web sites as a whole, since the procedures for releasing and addon are the same. In all references to “CurseForge” below, you should mentally remind yourself that we are speaking of WoWAce as well.
Wowinterface.com is part of the MMOUI network/company, which in turn, is the interface part of the ZAM network. The ZAM network also has websites under their hood like thottbot and wowhead. (correct me if I'm wrong Dolby/Cairenn)
ONTOPIC:

I find the quality of AddOns on wowinterface better then the overall quality of AddOns on curse. Only a vast number of AddOn writers on Curse (e.g. ckknight, antiarc, rabbit, adirelle, ammo, etc...) are the reason I am also checking curse.com for updates. Also, the forums are just awesome to browse here, in comparison to curse

Last edited by ravagernl : 06-02-10 at 04:15 PM.
06-02-10, 04:24 PM   #9
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
For example, WoWI allows Compilations while Curse does not.
Curse have recently added the ability to make addon compilations.

I agree with mrruben5, the overall quality of addons here on WoWInterface is better, from my experience. I think it's because the authors on this website are more dedicated to addons and seem to make something for everything. The forums are nicer, too. <3
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature

"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
06-02-10, 04:29 PM   #10
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Curse did allow Guild Compilations in the past, when it was still a non profit website (curse-gaming.com), iirc.
06-02-10, 10:57 PM   #11
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Wella View Post
Curse have recently added the ability to make addon compilations.

I agree with mrruben5, the overall quality of addons here on WoWInterface is better, from my experience. I think it's because the authors on this website are more dedicated to addons and seem to make something for everything. The forums are nicer, too. <3
Not entirely true Wella. You can't put your own files with it... BUT if you can upload your own files, then I'm missing it lol (I.E. WTF folders)
06-04-10, 11:09 AM   #12
slopoke
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you all for your replies and the info they contained. The other reason I am concerned is that I refused to install an addon (from Curse, not on WoWI) my GM wanted us to because the md5sum didn't match. For Linux (and the Unix world at large) that is a deal breaker. Long discussion about security.
06-04-10, 11:24 AM   #13
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
Thank you all for your replies and the info they contained. The other reason I am concerned is that I refused to install an addon (from Curse, not on WoWI) my GM wanted us to because the md5sum didn't match. For Linux (and the Unix world at large) that is a deal breaker. Long discussion about security.
Security ?

How?

Addons can't keylog you. Both Curse and Wowinterface have a team that check and verify all uploads.

http://bluspacecow.livejournal.com/2440.html
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
06-04-10, 11:39 AM   #14
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by slopoke View Post
The other reason I am concerned is that I refused to install an addon (from Curse, not on WoWI) my GM wanted us to because the md5sum didn't match.
Yeah, that's worrisome. I trust you reported it to Curse?
06-05-10, 09:09 PM   #15
slopoke
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
The discussion was about security in general. MD5sum is a part of that. I doubt any addon can elevate permissions to root status, but I refuse to take any security situation lightly. No matter how careful Curse and WoWI are, an MD5sum trumps that care every time.

To answer the other question, reported to dev. It sounds like you think I should report to Curse as well. OK, will do.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Curious cat questions