04-13-14, 08:36 AM   #1
brb2mins
A Murloc Raider
KG panels

Hi folks, im having some trouble importing an image i have into wow via KG Panels. I a complete noob with this so im 100% sure if i have done this correctly. i found and image, i converted it to a .tga file suing gimp. the file opens up fine in windows. When i try to import it to wow get stuck with a green panel, i have re logged, i have placed the file in the folder with wow not running i have tried everything. i can supply the image if you guys want as i would be happy to know if its maybe the i age that is incompatible ( if this is the case any help making it fit would be great).

image : http://thy-darkest-hour.deviantart.c...lden-292710832
04-13-14, 09:07 AM   #2
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
From the kgPanels Wiki & FAQ:

- Dimensions must be powers of 2, e.g.: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512
- Width and Height don't have to match (you can have an image that is 128px by 512px) but you cannot exceed 512px on either side.

If the dimensions of the image don't match the above rules, then it won't show up at all.
04-13-14, 09:08 AM   #3
brb2mins
A Murloc Raider
is there any way to alter it so i does fit the correct dimensions?

or is there anyone willing to help me make this work? I have been trying everything i can find/think off

Last edited by brb2mins : 04-13-14 at 09:29 AM.
04-13-14, 09:40 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You have to make an image that is the proper size and has a transparent background. That way you won't see the white all around the artwork.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-13-14, 09:50 AM   #5
brb2mins
A Murloc Raider
i have used gimp to the best of poor ability, and have an image of just the wing but no matter what i do with it i only get a blank green box in game.
04-13-14, 09:55 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Is the image the proper size?

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
04-13-14, 10:42 AM   #7
Duugu
Premium Member

I would use Paint.NET. It's much easyer to use than Gimp - even without any image editing knowledge - and serves very well with wow textures.
04-13-14, 11:22 AM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

See how this works for you.

Wing=2.tga

04-13-14, 11:49 AM   #9
brb2mins
A Murloc Raider
Thanks so much! my i ask how you managed to change it, what program etc?
04-13-14, 02:57 PM   #10
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I used Photoshop CS3 Extended to modify the graphic. I picked the wing out of the original graphic, then re-sized it. Then I added another layer so that I could add the Alpha channel, and once that was done I flattened the image.

It was one of the easier graphics I have modified.

I'm pretty sure it could be done with Gimp, or some other graphics program though.

04-13-14, 07:18 PM   #11
Phanx
Cat.

I just did the same thing in GIMP so I could give you the steps; it's pretty straightforward.

1. Open the image.
2. Use the normal rectangular selection tool to draw a box around the wing.
3. Image > Crop to Selection.
4. Select and delete the text that's still inside the frame. Feel free to use multiple steps; you don't have to get it all at once.
5. Image > Canvas Size > enter numbers that are powers of 2. I just used 1024x1024. Don't move the image around; leave it in the top left corner.
6. Image > Export > any-image-name-you-want.tga. Leave the default settings (RLE compression, Origin: Bottom left) and save.

To use it in kgPanels:

1. Make sure the .tga file is inside your AddOns folder somewhere. If you don't have a specific folder for this stuff yet, I'd suggest making a folder called MyGraphics and saving all your custom images in there.

2. Make sure you completely exit and restart WoW after creating the image file. WoW only reads the list of files once, when it starts up, and will not be able to see any files you add afterwards.

3. Make sure you entered the correct path to the image in kgPanels. If you saved it as "wing.tga" in a MyGraphics folder in the AddOns folder, your path should be "Interface\AddOns\MyGraphics\wing" -- you can leave off the .tga extension. (Note that I do not actually use kgPanels; you may need to use double backslashes instead of single ones, eg "Interface\\AddOns".)

4. Set the height and width of the kgPanels image/panel to whatever numbers you want, though to avoid distortion they should be the same number, since the original image is 1024x1024. Keep in mind that the actual visible part of the image only covers (roughly) the top half of the image, but that doesn't matter for a background image, and the rest of the image will be invisible.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » KG panels