08-19-14, 04:47 PM   #1
monkfunk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Question Can’t load addons in Win 8.1

I'll try to be brief!

PhotoRobot http://www.wowinterface.com/download...hotoRobot.html
I download the addon, unzip/extract and copy.

When I look for Interface > Addons, I do NOT get the single level folder in the FAQ picture. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...all_doesntwork
“The should be saved in a single level folder. One of the most common reason that UI's wont load is that there is a sub-folder inside the Custom UI Folder”
When I look at; ‘This PC > Windows (C): > Program Files’ -No World of Warcraft folder exists here.

So, I right click the WoW icon which I use to launch game, select ‘file location’, and get this;
‘Windows (C): > Users > Public > Games > World of Warcraft’ - and I go there.
Then I select the ‘Interface’ folder, then the ‘Addons’ folder, and paste the unzipped addon into it.

After logging on to WoW I see the Addon button. Both PhotoRobot and Rogue Power Bars are in there. I “check” them and “check” ‘Load out of date addons’.
Neither addon works in BG’s, nor while at training dummy.

I used to have no issues with Win 7 or Vista & XP before that. Bad File path?
08-19-14, 07:11 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You say you had "folder-in-folder" problems.
When I look for Interface > Addons, I do NOT get the single level folder in the FAQ picture. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...all_doesntwork
“The should be saved in a single level folder. One of the most common reason that UI's wont load is that there is a sub-folder inside the Custom UI Folder”
Since "PhotoRobot" doesn't have any folders inside the main folder all you should have to do is take the folder on the inside and paste it into the "AddOns" folder. "Rogue Power Bars" already has a "Libs" folder in it, though, so you've got to watch what you're doing.

The other thing is that these addons are so old that they simply may not work. Do you have "Show Lua Errors" turned on in the default WoW options? It'll tell you if your addons are throwing any errors. A good addon to get is BugSack and its' partner !BugGrabber (you have to use both together) to get the errors that addons are producing.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 08-19-14 at 07:22 PM.
08-19-14, 08:25 PM   #3
Phanx
Cat.

The WoWInterface download page for BugSack includes both BugSack and !BugGrabber.

There's nothing wrong with the ZIP file structure for the PhotoRobot addon, and if you're seeing it listed in the in-game addons list, then there's nothing wrong with your install path, either. If the addon "doesn't work" then most likely it simply doesn't work anymore with the current version of WoW.
08-20-14, 12:04 AM   #4
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Not sure if the following is helpful in your case but I'm a little confused. I thought when wow is installed in the location you mention the addons and logs would go to
Code:
c:/users/%username%/AppData/local/VirtualStore/programs/World of Warcraft
08-20-14, 12:14 AM   #5
monkfunk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thanks much jeffy162 and Phanx.

Bugsack results from training dummy rotation -which I don't understand;

11x RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:150: attempt to index upvalue "db" (a nil value)
RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:150: in function "UpdateBuffs"
RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:105: in function "?"
Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0-6.lua:147: in function <Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:147>
<string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":4: in function <string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":4
<in C code>
<string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":13: in function "?"
Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0-6.lua:92: in function "Fire"
RoguePowerBars-2.2.7\Libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0-3.lua:70: in function <RoguePowerBars\Libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:69>

Locals:
nil
08-20-14, 12:29 AM   #6
monkfunk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Not sure if the following is helpful in your case but I'm a little confused. I thought when wow is installed in the location you mention the addons and logs would go to
Code:
c:/users/%username%/AppData/local/VirtualStore/programs/World of Warcraft
Thanks Rilgamon, grateful for the help.

Bugsack and SharedMedia: No Asian Fonts (thanks Phanx) both worked in-game so I guess the filepath is good...?

I saved the d/l to desktop, extracted, then copy&pasted the 2 folders into the Addons folder shown after I:
Right-clicked the WoW icon, clicked 'open file location', then 'interface', then copy&pasted extracted bugsack folders into 'Addons'.

Odd that a top rogue recommended getting PhotoRobot and Rogue Power Bars very recently.

Last edited by monkfunk : 08-20-14 at 12:44 AM.
08-20-14, 12:34 AM   #7
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
Originally Posted by monkfunk View Post
The error would mean the addon is out of date, a variable that used to contain a value now doesn't (is nil) for one reason or another (a change to the API most likely).

Updating CallbackHandler-1.0 to the latest version here might be how the person recommending got RPB going although it's last update was 2011 so no guarantees.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 08-20-14 at 12:42 AM.
08-20-14, 12:54 AM   #8
Duugu
Premium Member

Just tried Psychic Terror (or whatever the english name for priest fear is) on a training dummy. Worked as intended. No errors.

So, PhotoRobot is not completly broken.

Could you please describe what exactly you've done and at which action the error occures?

[e]
Oh. I'm just realizing that the error is related to RoguePowerBars. When did the conversation moved from PhotoRobot to that one?

Thanks much jeffy162 and Phanx.

Last edited by Duugu : 08-20-14 at 12:58 AM.
08-20-14, 01:45 AM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
It was originally about both (getting them working). The error report is what has resulted from installing BugSack.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 08-20-14 at 01:51 AM.
08-20-14, 08:25 AM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Fizzlemizz View Post
The error would mean the addon is out of date, a variable that used to contain a value now doesn't (is nil) for one reason or another (a change to the API most likely).

Updating CallbackHandler-1.0 to the latest version here might be how the person recommending got RPB going although it's last update was 2011 so no guarantees.
CallbackHandler-1.0 is considered feature-complete and mature. Nothing in WoW's UI code would make it stop working.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-20-14, 05:45 PM   #11
monkfunk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Thanks for the pro attention to this, wow!

Bugsack report now with CallbackHandler while doing one rotation from stealth at training dummie;

48x RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:150: attempt to index upvalue "db" (a nil value)
RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:150: in function "UpdateBuffs"
RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:105: in function "?"
Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0-6.lua:147: in function <Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0.lua:147>
<string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":4: in function <string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":4
<in C code>
<string>:"safecall Dispatcher[2]":13: in function "?"
Libs\CallbackHandler-1.0\CallbackHandler-1.0-6.lua:92: in function "Fire"
RoguePowerBars-2.2.7\Libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0-3.lua:70: in function <RoguePowerBars\Libs\AceEvent-3.0\AceEvent-3.0.lua:69>

Locals:
nil

Last edited by monkfunk : 08-20-14 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Just found Phanx's WoW Addon guide. Copied more than just the errors from Bugsack -oops.
08-20-14, 07:34 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What version of Rogue Power Bars are you using? I only see old ones.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-20-14, 07:50 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
What version of Rogue Power Bars are you using? I only see old ones.
RoguePowerBars\RoguePowerBars-2.2.7.lua:150: attempt to index upvalue "db" (a nil value)
You're using version 2.2.7, which is from 2008 -- that during the Burning Crusade expansion. There is a fan update (search for "rogue power bars" to find it) from 2010, but that was during the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Given the fact that the author disappeared over 6 years ago and the addon is not licensed under terms which would legally allow anyone else to update it -- not to mention the fact that if anyone wanted to update it, they'd probably have done so by now, and at this point it's unlikely anyone wants to deal with someone else's bloated ancient code -- I think you should probably just give up on this addon and find something else to use.

I don't personally use this kind of addon, but based on vague secondhand knowledge I'd suggest looking at things like NeedToKnow, TellMeWhen, or even Raven.
08-21-14, 12:37 AM   #14
monkfunk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
You're using version 2.2.7, which is from 2008 -- that during the Burning Crusade expansion. There is a fan update (search for "rogue power bars" to find it) from 2010, but that was during the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. Given the fact that the author disappeared over 6 years ago and the addon is not licensed under terms which would legally allow anyone else to update it -- not to mention the fact that if anyone wanted to update it, they'd probably have done so by now, and at this point it's unlikely anyone wants to deal with someone else's bloated ancient code -- I think you should probably just give up on this addon and find something else to use.

I don't personally use this kind of addon, but based on vague secondhand knowledge I'd suggest looking at things like NeedToKnow, TellMeWhen, or even Raven.
Sound advice. I'm now tweaking Raven. Thanks!
btw Seerah- I thought I had selected v. 3.3.? and was surprised that 2.2.7 was downloaded for me.
Odd.

You addons troubleshooting guide is great Phanx, thanks for that too. Well written.

Last edited by monkfunk : 08-21-14 at 12:40 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Can’t load addons in Win 8.1