12-08-09, 03:51 PM   #1
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
nUI Textures - FIXED!!!!

Just to let you know, logged into the new 3.3 patch just now.. and the graphics glitch with textures when you switch from full screen to windowed mode, or vice versa, has been FIXED!!!!

And there was much rejoicing!

I run a Mac... and that was my largest issue with using nUI.

12-08-09, 03:59 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That's awesome news... I'd love to hear some confirmations from others as well... is this fixed for everyone who was having the problem, or just for Mac Users or just for users of certain graphics cards?

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

12-08-09, 06:18 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
That's awesome news... I'd love to hear some confirmations from others as well... is this fixed for everyone who was having the problem, or just for Mac Users or just for users of certain graphics cards?
Not fixed for PC users. At least not for me.

12-08-09, 11:51 PM   #4
SilverChrono
A Kobold Labourer
Seems to work fine for me on pc, as much as I keep switching to make sure it's not just a dream .

12-10-09, 07:15 PM   #5
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
Sounds like it's now just an issue with particular graphics cards, then. What card do you use, Petrah?

12-10-09, 11:01 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Radeon 1GB GDDR5 4870

12-12-09, 06:20 PM   #7
DesertDwarf
Largely Short

Premium Member
Kinda works.

I have two Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS cards connected via SLI to drive a single monitor. (Hey, I like my framerates high...leave me alone. )

If I go full screen to windowed, I keep the textures. Strangely, though, in this direction only, it seems to automatically do a /reload (or a /console reload). This means it, of course, would get the textures back.

If I go windowed to full screen, I lose the textures. It's obviously not doing a /reload for me when I go to full screen.

Last edited by DesertDwarf : 12-12-09 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to put Nvidia for card manufacturer.

02-02-10, 03:05 PM   #8
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

They broke it again!!!!

As of today's patch, the texture glitch is back in full force when switching between full and windowed mode on my Mac. I'm assuming on the PC as well.

Anyone have any idea what they changed to fix it in 3.3, and then changed to break it again for this latest version??

02-02-10, 03:18 PM   #9
spiel2001
nUI's Author

/rolleyes

I should have known it would be too good to be true.

*sigh*

02-02-10, 06:44 PM   #10
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
So no idea at all what the issue might be? Some console variable? Anything? I wish I could get a complete list of what they did this patch, that might help point in the right area.

02-02-10, 07:17 PM   #11
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok, then.... I did some research, and I got it working once more.

Apparently Blizz is messing with stuff having to do with Macs.. They've changed the default value of gxApi to "OpenGL" which is the old value.

I edited the config.wtf file and added the line:

SET gxApi "GLL"

and that fixed it once more.

Now, understand this is for Mac only.. I have no idea what's going on in the PC world regarding this issue, if it's fixed or what. But for Mac users affected by 3.3.2, this fixed it for me.

This should work until Blizz once again changes things.

02-03-10, 05:12 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Cesard --

Thank you for posting that info. I'll add it to the FAQ so future Mac users can find it.

02-03-10, 12:21 PM   #13
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
No prob, just trying to get this thing to work.. I'm not interested in giving up nUI.

However, Blizzard is in the process right now of testing certain things regarding performance problems that some Macs are experiencing.. Them messing with the gxAPI setting is an example of that. So my immediate quick fix workaround may not be viable in the long run. Also, and this may be related, I've had my game periodically lock up, requiring me to manually dump WoW and restart it. This may be the trade off I'm experiencing by utilizing that particular gxAPI.

So the answer may be to allow the current Blizz default if you want a non-crash game experience and are happy with not switching back and forth from full screen to windowed mode. At least until Blizzard's experimentations are finished and they've resolved whatever Mac graphics issues they're having.

But, as of this patch right now, if you absolutely must switch back and forth between full and windowed modes, the temporary solution I listed will work.

03-03-10, 08:25 PM   #14
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
A further update on this, from a blue post in the Mac support forums.. Link is http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...812266&sid=1#0

I noticed a fair number of users who are confused about the gxApi setting in your config.wtf, this setting tells WoW which engine backend to use.
I want to try to clarify things a little bit.

A long time ago, we decided that we needed to rewrite the OpenGL backend to get better performance, to add new features and to make it easier to maintain.

This rewrite is called GLL.

It was first introduced with WoW 3.2.0 but back then most people didn't know that they could use it. We changed the default gxApi in 3.3.0 for GLL. The problem was that we were unaware of many big issues and most people had a lot of problems. We then told people to add SET gxApi "OpenGL" to their config.wtf to revert to the old backend. With 3.3.2, we changed the default gxApi back to OpenGL.

When you try to set a setting to its default value in your config.wtf, the game will delete that line.
The reason why OpenGL is the default backend again is because there are still unresolved issues with the GLL backend.

Known issues with GLL for WoW 3.3.2:
#1 Random lockups
#2 Corrupted icons/sky
#3 Hang when you lower your multisampling setting and that you use a GeForce 8+

Because of these issues, you should not use GLL unless you don't care about rebooting your computer.
GLL will become the default backend when we are sure that all major issues have been taken care of.
So it would appear that once they get the issues with GLL fixed, that will revert back to the default setting and the texture problems should be fixed once more... So it is just a matter of time.

03-23-10, 12:08 PM   #15
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
Quick update...

I was hoping they'd have reverted back to GLL for the gxAPI, but they haven't done it for 3.3.3 yet. I guess they're not ready. However, I will set it to GLL manually and see if it's any more stable. I had to revert back to OpenGL due to instability and crashes, and just put up with not being able to maximize and minimize the window.

I'll post back here if I notice an improvement with using GLL, ie, no crashes.

10-05-10, 07:55 AM   #16
Cesard
A Fallenroot Satyr
I've had it set to gxAPI for a couple weeks now, and initially I got a crash or two, but lately it seems to be relatively stable. The only issue I have now when I min/max the window is the chat frame will slip out and need to be put back in its place. I use the Chatter addon, so I'm assuming something in that mod is preventing nUI from telling it where to go and be anchored.

Other than that, so far so good. I'm hoping that when 4.0.1 goes live, the engine will be gxAPI by default and we won't need to mess with the config anymore. We'll see.

09-03-11, 12:54 PM   #17
Cesard666
A Defias Bandit
Not sure if it's been noted, but Blizz appears to have fixed this issue. It's been working fine now for some time.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » nUI Textures - FIXED!!!!