12-17-11, 01:55 PM   #1
3ICE
A Murloc Raider

Carbonite travel routing finds a very obscure path to yourself, then points to tar...

Hi,

Attached you will find Carbonite-going-in-circles.png
To create this image, I ctrl+right clicked only once (GoTo command). I targeted the center of a zone I wanted to travel to (Silithus), from Northern Barrens. (Quite a distance to cover on ground, but I did it, corpse running (jumping? hopping?) all the way.)

I feel it is important to note that the travel routing setting is enabled for me, since I'm only level 20 and flying mounts are not readily available for me (yet).

Obviously a few zone-connections are missing from carbonite's database between Northern Barrens and Silithus. But if carbonite can't find a path to the target it should not do what is demonstrated in the attached picture. It suggests I ride (and at one point; fly) around the continent in a big (clockwise) circle, until I reach my point of origin (effectively useless), and then go in a straight line to my destination ignoring everything. The entire "go in a circle" step should be skipped. Displaying "Sorry, Carbonite can't find a travel route to your destination. Here is a straight line instead. Good luck." instead, would be much better.

--3ICE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite-going-in-circles.png
Views:	708
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	6655  

12-17-11, 05:30 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Try routing the same route the same way while Carbonite is the ONLY enabled addon. There might be another addon interfering with Carbonite.

I just tried making the same route on a level 24 toon that has never been to Silithus, and also does not have flying mounts available to him. I also have travel routing enabled in Carbonite. I tried two methods to get the goto point: "ctrl + click" the map, and also typed "/carb goto Silithus 51 36" into chat. This is a valid Carbonite slash command, and you can get a list of Carbonite slash commands by typing "/carb" into chat. Here are the results:

ctrl + click: Click image for larger version

Name:	ctrl-click goto.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	6658 chat command: Click image for larger version

Name:	chat goto.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	6659

I believe that if you enable travel routing, Carbonite automatically uses the nearest flight point and routes through flight points after that as it should be the fastest way to get from point to point.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 12-18-11 at 07:36 PM.

01-17-12, 01:05 AM   #3
wildcard25
An Aku'mai Servant

@jeffy162: Just thought I'd point out that your pics do show a bug :-)

2nd Flight Master is routed through twice

01-17-12, 12:29 PM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You are correct, and I apologize for not "catching" that before I posted those shots. For some reason Carbonite is routing between Thunder Bluff and Bloodhoof Village twice. The flight path seems to go to BV, then TB, back to TV, then (since there is only one flight master in TB) through one of the "Connection" points for TB, then on to it's terminus in Silithus.

Maybe the devs will see this post and explain why Carbonite does that.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite travel routing finds a very obscure path to yourself, then points to tar...