07-13-14, 08:36 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Original Carbonite addon

If I'm remembering correctly, years ago the Original Carbonite addon was listed on wowinterface as a "Standalone" addon. (It's now listed under "Featured" addons). Carbonite was self-contained and didn't rely upon other addons and that used to be one of the reasons many people chose it. It eliminated the need to have multiple addons. Of course, the original developers were usually very quick in fixing issues and answering questions on the forums. At least they were up until the very end.

I have no idea why so many people are choosing to use the "Release" version of Carbonite, since it's so far out-of-date, that it's barely useable.

Now, I'm beginning to see the trend toward having Carbonite function only when all the other addons are up-to-date. Carbonite is no longer a standalone addon, since it has now become dependent upon other addon authors to keep their addons up-to-date. What will happen when the other addon authors disappear from WoW (like so many of them have done already). Maybe soon, Carbonite's only function will be the Google mapping system?

I'm referring to Carbonite's beta version, since that is the only version of Carbonite that has had any major work done on it, and there is still much more needed. Frequent updates are rare or even non-existent.

Last edited by Kreelor : 07-16-14 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added a sentence then fixed a typo

07-14-14, 08:31 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What are you talking about? I see no Dependencies listed in Carbonite's .toc file.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-15-14, 06:38 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Seerah, I didn't look into that file; I'm just going by what I've been reading in the Carbonite forums. I noticed a number of people having problems/conflicts with certain 3rd party addons, and my own problems with Carbonite's smaller-view map, etc. If folks are using 3rd party addons because Carbonite no longer has them built into itself, and those addons don't get updated... then, what happens? If my thoughts on this potential issue are out-of-whack, then please explain my error. I'm just trying to understand. Thanks for your comment. I never thought about the .toc.

08-05-14, 08:16 AM   #4
Svegan
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

works with, not depends on

Carbonite is trying to work with other addons that people use, but has no dependencies to those addons. When other addons update, they may change function names, or routines that carbonite uses, like the overlay feature of npcoverlay, may get broken, where carbonite has to update, to correct it.

08-08-14, 02:31 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The only thing Carbonite needs and uses is libraries. It uses Ace for many things now as it reduced the amount of code needed, and memory usage.

As an example... When other addons are using and doing the same thing. Why have carbonite attempt to send addon messages to itself, with filters and timers and flood control, and fighting against acecomm which is doing the same thing for several addons at once and Carbonite can use it aswell.

When people talk about problems between carbonite and other addons, it is because carbonite is fairly well used, and people would like other addons to work with rather then against it if you have it installed.

As for the previous authors being quick to update.... I'm not sure which Carbonite you were using but they were not quick to update since wrath's release, and the work they did do was just bandage fixes which is why so much rewriting was needed.

Even you yourself, you use Zygor with Carbonite... and it does not always work correctly, and that's because Zygor tried to make it compatable before I went and changed everything. There is nothing in Carbonite that depends on Zygor, and there is no code in Carbonite that is written specifically for Zygor, but still there has been bugs and you've mentioned them here and on their forums.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Original Carbonite addon