07-04-14, 06:04 AM   #1
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
garbage collection via Titan Panel

When you force a garbage collection via left-click on Titan Panel, does this create a file somewhere?
I understand that 'garbage collection' is a process that runs in the wow client and TP only formats
the output on your panel. If you use the TP function, where is the 'garbage'? I'm having some issues
with fps and I want to be able to post what I'm seeing for support reasons.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have.
07-04-14, 07:01 AM   #2
Duugu
Premium Member

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by datgrl View Post
When you force a garbage collection via left-click on Titan Panel, does this create a file somewhere?
I understand that 'garbage collection' is a process that runs in the wow client and TP only formats
the output on your panel. If you use the TP function, where is the 'garbage'? I'm having some issues
with fps and I want to be able to post what I'm seeing for support reasons.

Thanks in advance for any help you might have.
The "garbage" is memory (RAM) that was allocated by the wow client and that is not longer accessible by the wow client. Like placing your car keys in a drawer and forgetting which one it was. Drawer is occupied, but it's kind of useless.
The garbage collection process tries to find those "lost" memory areas and makes them available to applications like wow.

So, garbage collection means "deleting the content of a specific memory area and mark the area as 'free'". There are not "remains".
07-04-14, 09:56 AM   #3
datgrl
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Good to know. Thanks!!
07-04-14, 12:18 PM   #4
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Titan Panel has a garbage collection function because titan panel probably creates too much garbage anyway. I prefer LDB displays myself.
07-05-14, 02:42 AM   #5
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
TP *is* a LDB-Display
07-05-14, 11:53 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Unless it's been rewritten, TP is a Titan display. But it has support for LDB plugins as well. While *technically* what you say may be true, I wouldn't exactly lump it in with the other LDB displays.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-05-14, 09:45 PM   #7
Phanx
Cat.

You shouldn't need to manually trigger garbage collection. Lua will run it periodically on its own. If you're seeing your memory usage growing so fast that manually running garbage collection is actually helping, then some addon you're using is really, really badly written and you'll be better off replacing that addon, than manually clicking a button every 30 seconds for the rest of your WoW life.

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
TP *is* a LDB-Display
It's not. It does have a "compatibility layer" so it can show LDB plugins -- though I'm not sure it supports the more esoteric properties like icon texture coordinates -- but it's primarily designed around its own API, and native Titan plugins are not compatible with LDB displays. The Titan API is completely unrelated, and completely awful... I wrote a few Titan plugins back in the day, and was more than happy to abandon them once FuBar and then LDB came along. Even from a user perspective I can't think of a single reason why anyone would use such a bloated and inflexible addon, when there are so many much more user-friendly LDB display addons, many of which you can even configure to look exactly like Titan Panel, if that vintage 2005 look really does it for you. You'd think the endless stream of people volunteering to maintain Titan Panel would get the hint when the previous developers keep quitting and nobody is writing Titan plugins anymore, but apparently not...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » garbage collection via Titan Panel