09-03-12, 02:10 PM   #1
TULOA
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Necrosage View Post
Okay guys,

Firstly:
All versions of windows currently in use are able to open zip files without needing to install 3rd party software. You should simply be able to right-click and select "Extract All..." to start the extraction wizard. If you insist on using a 3rd party application then I highly recommend WinRAR. The free trial version is unlimited with only a small popup asking if you'd like to purchase the full version on every third or so run. Even that doesn't pop if you use WinRAR's right-click menu options without loading the entire app. I've used it for years and never had an issue of any kind.

Secondly:
To install the Fan Update you download the zip file and extract it. I recommend extracting it to a temp folder you can easily locate. Most extraction wizards give you the option of creating one on extraction and I usually put it on my desktop. Once you have the files extracted, locate the "Program Files" directory for your particular version of Windows. Keep in mind there are two such folders on 64bit systems. In that case the 32bit folder name will contain "x86". Your WoW install will be located in the 32bit folder. If you only see the one "Program Files" folder then simply select that one and ignore everything I said about 32/64bit. Inside that folder you will find a "World of Warcraft" folder. Open that folder and inside locate the "Interface" folder. Now open that folder and and find your "AddOns" folder.

Now inside your "AddOns" folder you will see folders for all your installed addons. Look through them and find the "Carbonite" folder. There are four seperate folders used by Carbonite but only one is simply named "Carbonite", that's the one you want. Open it up. Take the files you extracted earlier and drag and drop them into the "Carbonite" folder. Windows will ask you if want to replace the original three files with the new versions. Tell it yes.

At last you have the Carbonite Fan Update installed. You may now delete the temp folder you created on your desktop as it should now be empty. If you have any issues with it try disabling your other addons one at a time and see if it starts working after a certain one is disabled. Please post the name of that addon and the error message you receive in the forums. Rythal can work wonders but not without the proper information. If you have any other issues post them and include as much info as you can about the problem.

Hopefully this will answer some of the questions about how to install the update properly. I know some of you are extracting directly into the addon folder but I recommend during it the long way just to be sure everything happens as it should.
Remember that not all users installed it to the default directory. Just something I figured I would put up there. In this case you can right click the shortcut on the desktop and select: Open File Location if you have windows 7. I know some others may have it but I am not sure how early that went. Otherwise you can go to the shortcut properties and in there should be a Find Target option. That should also work.

09-04-12, 09:31 AM   #2
castersrus
A Fallenroot Satyr

Talking Sweeeeeet

Not gonna bust out the "I love you Man" stuff...but dude...you rock. Like the rest here, my wife and I have been having to resort to using some other mods that we found when 5.0.4 hit and carb didn't have an update for it. I just downloaded your update, which took less than 15 sec btw with win 7, and over wrote files that were already there. Logged in and ran carb ONLY, not sure if anyone else gets this issue or not...but if we try to run carb the first time it's installed and other mods as well game glitches like crazy, and *sound of angelic voices singing* there is the carb list instead of the default Blizz quest tracker. Thank you VERY much.

09-04-12, 09:35 AM   #3
castersrus
A Fallenroot Satyr

About beta

We would give this a test run for ya to confirm your own finding or let you know if anything needing fixing...but when installed beta both the Beta and Live WoW went ape crap on us. Not sure if it was the virus protection we were using (which we have changed but haven't tried beta since that) or if Beta was glitched and trying to duel copy files or what happened, but we're kinda leery about attempting beta again

09-04-12, 09:56 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by castersrus View Post
We would give this a test run for ya to confirm your own finding or let you know if anything needing fixing...but when installed beta both the Beta and Live WoW went ape crap on us. Not sure if it was the virus protection we were using (which we have changed but haven't tried beta since that) or if Beta was glitched and trying to duel copy files or what happened, but we're kinda leery about attempting beta again
I run the same one on both beta servers and live without issue.

09-06-12, 09:54 AM   #5
castersrus
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
I run the same one on both beta servers and live without issue.

no no no...not saying about the beta addon or anything like that. You were saying you would like for someone to test it on beta to see if everyone else got the same effects you were on the beta server with the update. Was talking about the Beta of WoW, not carb, making our puter go ape crap. We're not going to attempt beta panda again since we don't know what happened that made it that we couldn't access either it or live WoW when we installed it

09-04-12, 11:20 AM   #6
supernounours
A Kobold Labourer
thank you et merci

i'm french and i find a wonderful addon: his name carbonite; with mop and without carbonite i'm totally lost. So you have made a wondeful jog, so continue!!

09-05-12, 10:42 AM   #7
Bairab
A Kobold Labourer
Rythal , You rock !

Rythal , I just wanted say thank you very much for the time you've put into this !
You have done a remarkable job and it is very appreciated !

Keep up the good work (or don't ) , you've earned our appreciation either way !!!

09-07-12, 01:55 AM   #8
sophiemj
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up

thanks you saved my day !

09-07-12, 05:41 AM   #9
HamarSkald
A Defias Bandit
I think earlier, Rythal was asking about places that showed up blank on the map... I have found two: Wyrmrest Temple and the Ebon Hold (DK starting area).

I also want to say thanks! I really appreciate all of the work you are doing to update Carbonite.

09-07-12, 08:57 AM   #10
Dman24
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey all I've been using Carbonite for many many years now and Rythal what you've been doing, I just wanted to say thanks, also I've noticed many bugs over the past few days (even after the fixes).

1st bug is in the starting zones atleast Tauren and Orc i've seen is the map transparency is that it looks as if the zone is completely zoned out but see the quest area and where you have to go to complete the quest etc. when i put my cursor over it i see the map like i normally do when i'm in Org, Dal or anywhere else.

2nd bug is if i go into a cave or tunnel of sort the map loses my location and shows me running all over azeroth as if i'm quickly traveling over a large area. If i stop moving it then finds me and shows where i am but at times it can just stay like that.

3rd bug (and its been around for a long long time) is if i'm in an instance of sorts, DM, HoT, ZA, ZG etc. the map is completely zoomed out and i have to zoom in to see the instance map, but when i finish the instance and zone into Org my map is completely zoomed in and have to zoom back out to the normal zoom.

4th bug certain BG's Alterac Valley & Isle of Conquest i've noticed there is no map and thus have to use Alt+M and use the standard map in those BG's

5th bug the carbonite map no longer shows mining or herb nodes and i have to make the minimap (my little square block on carbonite's map) and make it larger if i'm farming herbs or ore.

I took the sceenshots but didn't want to spam up the forum so here's a link to them all. (they're all zipped up since theres like 7 screenshot) http://tiny.cc/p2s9jw

Again thanks and hopefully these bugs will be fixed

09-07-12, 09:13 AM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Dman24 View Post
Hey all I've been using Carbonite for many many years now and Rythal what you've been doing, I just wanted to say thanks, also I've noticed many bugs over the past few days (even after the fixes).

1st bug is in the starting zones atleast Tauren and Orc i've seen is the map transparency is that it looks as if the zone is completely zoned out but see the quest area and where you have to go to complete the quest etc. when i put my cursor over it i see the map like i normally do when i'm in Org, Dal or anywhere else.
There is no map for those zones anymore. Blame blizzard deciding to make them separate from the world. It was either have quest trackers break and say your 60000 yds from objective, flood the map with "city" style maps, or leave it.

3rd bug (and its been around for a long long time) is if i'm in an instance of sorts, DM, HoT, ZA, ZG etc. the map is completely zoomed out and i have to zoom in to see the instance map, but when i finish the instance and zone into Org my map is completely zoomed in and have to zoom back out to the normal zoom.
It's a limitation of the system, an instace might be scaled at a rate of 0.4yds and the map needs to be zoomed to see it, the regular world is scaled at a rate of ~6 yds.. some instances might even be really small and scale at ~11 or ~12yds.. the game does not give information on what the scale is so there is no auto setting it.

4th bug certain BG's Alterac Valley & Isle of Conquest i've noticed there is no map and thus have to use Alt+M and use the standard map in those BG's
Are they truely gone, or are you just saved at old map locations, try turning on the "Follow You" Map option while in the BG to see if it's just moved.

5th bug the carbonite map no longer shows mining or herb nodes and i have to make the minimap (my little square block on carbonite's map) and make it larger if i'm farming herbs or ore.
I was planning on trying to fix this over this weekend, bringing the newer POI's the minimap displays into the carbonite map (carbonite's options are quite outdated for what it thinks the minimap might display)... but, someone has mentioned to me they heard from the original authors and we might have a real release this weekend, and i'm not sure I want to put more hours into something that will be dead in the water when the real devs finally release one.

09-09-12, 08:11 PM   #12
1angryrogue
A Kobold Labourer
i need carbonite

i really need carbonite! i feel lost without it is there a way you could give me your version of it?

08-30-12, 06:27 PM   #13
Lyoo
A Fallenroot Satyr
I downloaded it & still cant use carbonite

08-30-12, 06:34 PM   #14
samatina
A Murloc Raider
Thank you SO VERY much for this Rythal. I've been using Carbonite for a while now and I would totally miss it if it was gone. Anyway, I know you worked your tail off for us and I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for that hard work.

08-31-12, 11:27 AM   #15
riktor
A Defias Bandit
Why Would They Put An Update In A Totaly Diffrent Url?

i don't think this is the real carbonite, in fact why would they put an update in a url called
<snip>
BE AWARE PEOPLE DON'T DOWNLOAD THIS!!!
WAIT UNTIL IT'S ON THE WEBSITE IN DOWNLOADS, NOT SOME STRANGE URL YOU NEVER SEEN, PEOPLE WAKE UP AND PAY ATTENTION...... THIS IS PROBABLY A WAY TO GET YOUR PASSWORD IN WOW.

[quote=Rythal;261167]Why this post?
-------------------------
OK! Enough people have been emailing and sending me messages about where to get the new version, that i've created a new topic that I can control the first 2 threads of for it, now you never have to go searching the information will be here.

The File
Carbonite FAN UPDATE 5.04 is located at <snip>

Be sure to virus scan it if you have any concerns, it's always best to be safe no matter how many people before you say they've downloaded it.

Last edited by Haleth : 08-31-12 at 01:53 PM. Reason: removed offsite download link

08-31-12, 11:40 AM   #16
NXVash
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by riktor View Post
i don't think this is the real carbonite, in fact why would they put an update in a url called
<snip>
WAIT UNTIL IT'S ON THE WEBSITE IN DOWNLOADS, NOT SOME STRANGE URL YOU NEVER SEEN, PEOPLE WAKE UP AND PAY ATTENTION...... THIS IS PROBABLY A WAY TO GET YOUR PASSWORD IN WOW.

/facepalm have you been eating lead paint chips, or are you just retarded?

Last edited by Haleth : 08-31-12 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed offsite download link>

08-31-12, 12:00 PM   #17
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Question

IMO.. if there no update by dev's after oct-nov (after MOp land's) or after Dec 2012 ( license)
Rythal Should be able to upload it to other place's and here as a fan update (at lease)

One of site admin should try get a hold of dev's if possible. if they don't get back to them ( they been active on site as lease without post any info at all) .

(Carbonite is not like most other wow addons, it includes a license that forbid us)
I think by wow new rule's forbid them to to even do this ( not sure myself)
and by blizzards new rule the lua should be easy to read and understand ( again not sure )

I can't live out Carbonite And I Thank Rythal for taking a big chance and doing a fan update.
Like him I hope the dev's come back and update.... and even maybe let Rythal join there team

Last edited by shadow78 : 08-31-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo

08-31-12, 11:42 AM   #18
jarda128
A Cyclonian
[quote=riktor;261481]i don't think this is the real carbonite, in fact why would they put an update in a url called
<snip>

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Why this post?
OK! Enough people have been emailing and sending me messages about where to get the new version, that i've created a new topic that I can control the first 2 threads of for it, now you never have to go searching the information will be here.

The File
Carbonite FAN UPDATE 5.04 is located at <snip>

Be sure to virus scan it if you have any concerns, it's always best to be safe no matter how many people before you say they've downloaded it.
I know you can be sure enough about anything ...
But there is not executable in that only lua file ...
and that file executed in wow and taht is separated from computer or his resources ...
i know carbonite send information on custom channel for example about new version and ets.
but addon cant to get to your password or any other information ...
i know that u can copy text via clipboard from and to wow for example your guild website ....
But there is no reason to be paranoid,i install a lot programs and only solution is good antivirus and firevall ...
If i was virus writer i would write key simple keyloggerwhich was send your psasword via internet not lua
file which still have got limited access to yout computer in fact not at all ... i think taht si calles sandbox

P.S. If you are still afraid about hacking your account buy authenticator from blizzard

Last edited by Haleth : 08-31-12 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed offsite download link

08-31-12, 12:10 PM   #19
SirPugg
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by riktor View Post
[url]<snip>
You sir, win this weeks Darwin Award

Last edited by Haleth : 08-31-12 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed offsite download link

08-31-12, 12:19 PM   #20
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
Question

uh I just check there main site

http://www.carboniteaddon.com/index.shtml
on the bottom of page

Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Carbon Based Creations, LLC

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.04