09-21-08, 09:38 AM   #1
Paravel
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon Load Switcher

Ok, lets see if I can get this idea out there.

I would love to see a simple mod that could present you with a way to build mod porfiles from in game and load them when you need them.

So. . example.

For general questing I would use lets say.
  • Quest Helper
  • Cartographer
  • Ect . . .

I dont need Auctioneer loaded eating memory because im out in the world leveling or farming.

Now I get a call to heal an raid. So I need
  • oRA2
  • Grid
  • Bigwigs
  • Ect . . .

But dont need Quest Helper and such.

So I want to be able and select the profile from a menu, prefable fubar or something. Like Raid. hit reloadui and wala. When Im done, select the Farm. or Leveling or whatever profile I want and off I go.

So my question is. . Is it possible? And could someone give it a try?

Something clean, functional and the ability to create your own profiles dependant on what addons you have installed.

Thanks.
09-21-08, 09:46 AM   #2
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I believe that ACP has this functionality. It allows you to turn addons on and off without logging out (you still need to reload the UI) and I recall that you can save addon profiles with it. You can find it on http://files.wowace.com and you can access it once installed via the new Addons button in the ESC-menu.
09-21-08, 10:02 AM   #3
Eas
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Yes, you can save profiles with it. I just learned that feature
09-21-08, 01:47 PM   #4
Paravel
A Murloc Raider

Ahh sweet. I used ACP a long time ago and have not looked at it in some time. And yes, I see the sets are now a part of it.

Thanks guys.
09-21-08, 01:55 PM   #5
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Originally Posted by Paravel
I dont need Auctioneer loaded eating memory because im out in the world leveling or farming.
This is a pointless statement.

Auctioneer does not "eat" memory. It merely takes up the memory that it already has allocated. This does not reduce performance in any way unless you are extremely constrained on space (which if you have that little memory, then you have more problems than just Auctioneer. I'm talking you have something like a total of 256MB).

Your OS will (should) notice that Auctioneer is not using its memory, so it will swap it out to the pagefile. Auctioneer only actually takes CPU time when it's performing calculations. The fact that it requires memory is meaningless with regards to performance.

You will see no performance increase from turning it off automatically -- in fact, it is very possible that the extra overhead in evaluating these conditions will reduce your performance.

Other addons I cannot speak for.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
09-21-08, 02:52 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Moving to the correct forum. The Wish List forum is labeled as a place for developers to make requests to Blizzard.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-21-08, 04:38 PM   #7
Paravel
A Murloc Raider

Point well taken, if not a bit over zelous on your reply. But I understand I am new to this particular community.

The point I was trying to make, while using Auctioneer as an example, is to try and lower over all overhead from the start. Regardless of my system capabilty. It could be a moot point. And alot can be said about keeping things lean. A trend that some mod developers are starting to address, while others are still bloating code.

Here is my observation. Addons, ie, like auctioneer, that I cant do without. Do infact put a hit on overall performance. It is mearly an acadimic statment to say that it does not. But that is besides the point. ACP will work nicely.

Please forgive me if I sounded harsh in my reply, but you sort of . .uhm. . stomped on me for asking a question. And I know you must get off the wall lolcat's asking non-serious questions all the time, so ill chalk it up to that.

And to Seerah. Thank you. . Im sorry for posting in the wrong place. I do have a request and post for that section regarding the new calendar module in the beta that I need to get too.

Thanks all. Hope no offense is taken, and keep makeing GREAT, low system hog addons

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
This is a pointless statement.

Auctioneer does not "eat" memory. It merely takes up the memory that it already has allocated. This does not reduce performance in any way unless you are extremely constrained on space (which if you have that little memory, then you have more problems than just Auctioneer. I'm talking you have something like a total of 256MB).

Your OS will (should) notice that Auctioneer is not using its memory, so it will swap it out to the pagefile. Auctioneer only actually takes CPU time when it's performing calculations. The fact that it requires memory is meaningless with regards to performance.

You will see no performance increase from turning it off automatically -- in fact, it is very possible that the extra overhead in evaluating these conditions will reduce your performance.

Other addons I cannot speak for.
09-21-08, 05:47 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Don't be offended by Shirik - he helped write part of Auctioneer is all.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-21-08, 06:42 PM   #9
Paravel
A Murloc Raider

Oh im not. I <3 x 100 Auctioneer! I don't know what I would do without it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon Load Switcher