10-10-14, 11:47 AM   #1
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Interface categorys

This is the only WoW side I know where so many ready to use WoW-Interfaces are shared. I think its one of the best things about this side (and the forums!) and it needs better sub-categories for the Compilations & Suites.

1. It woud be great to have an UI search category where you don't have every UI listed multiple times... currently almost every UI is in every section. Also an option to only show UIs that are updated for the current patch (NOT Sort by: Update) woud be nice.

2. The thumbnails in Compilations & Suites shoud be bigger, you can barely see anything on this:

I have tested it a bit and 320x180px woud be a nice size to browse without opening the big screenshot.

3. The categorys need better explanations. Also it shoud be more limited in what categorys an UI can be at the same time:
Healer, DPS and Tank at the same time shoud not be possible. And and UI shoud also not be Minimalistic, Graphical and a Suites at the same time. Maybe we can even find more and better sub-categorys!

My explanations:

Suites:
Sounds to me like a collection of Addons I realy have no idea what shoud be in this. Anyone has a good example for a Suite?

Graphical Compilations:
Everything is Graphical about an UI - Roth UI and ElvUI don't fit into the same category!
Maybe new category called "Futuristic Compilations" and "Adorned Art Compilations"

Minimalistic Compilations:
Minimalistic in look or Minimalistic in Size? Thats the question here many are just Minimalistic in size maybe we need two categorys divided by Minimalistic in look and only Minimalistic in Size.

Class Compilations:
The UI dosen't works for all classes and is made with an specific Class in mind. Problem: it might be Minimalistic or Futuristic or whatever so...

Guild Compilations:
Again I have no idea what shoud be in this. If its an UI made for a guild why can't it be indexed into one of the other categorys

Generic Compilations:
Basicly anything that dosen't fit into the other categorys whats the difference to Suites? Why do we need this category?

Heal/DPS/Tank Compilations:
A Compilations that works for max. for 2 of this, if its an Heal, DPS and Tank Compilations it dosen't fit in here.

So my vision woud be if you upload an interface you shoud be asked this Questions:

a) UI Style:
My UI looks like an:
1. Adorned Art Compilation
2. Minimalistic Art Compilation
3. Futuristic Compilation
4. Minimalistic Compilation

b) UI Size and type
1. UI is composed out of basic addons only contains what you see on the screenshot
2. UI mostly contains "self written" addons like RealUI or Roth UI
3. UI is contains every addon you'll ever need

c) UI is made/optimized for: (multiple choice)
I) 1. DPS 2. Heal 3. Tank
II) 1. Raiding 2. PvP 3. Leveling 4. Role-playing 5. Bank alts
III) Class: Priest, Paladin, Rogue, Hunter, Druid, Warrior, Deathknight, Warlock, Shaman, Mage, Monk [Select all]

Last edited by Tonyleila : 10-10-14 at 12:26 PM.
10-10-14, 12:05 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Hi Tonyleila,

Thanks for your feedback on our site. We certainly appreciate it and will work to improve upon things. Many have asked for category descriptions and we will be working to add those. Just a FYI suites are where the compilation is comprised of 90% or more of AddOns made by that person, not taking addons from other authors.

Making a medium sized thumbnail is a good idea too. We currently have 2 sizes of thumbnails (Tiny 100px, Small 250px), the tiny ones shown on the lists and the small ones shown on the details page. This works well for just AddOns but I can see how its a problem for compilation packs since most are trying to show the entire screen and not just one AddOn.

One thing to touch on if you find that a lot of the interfaces are crossing over into categories they shouldn't be in please report them. Some times compilation authors can get a little over zealous on their category choosing.

Also if you want to only see interfaces/compilations that have chosen that category as their main category you can toggle this under your options here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...=modifyoptions

(Multiple Categories: Disable this feature if you only want to see files in their main categories.)

Last edited by Dolby : 10-10-14 at 12:09 PM.
10-10-14, 01:14 PM   #3
Tonyleila
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
One thing to touch on if you find that a lot of the interfaces are crossing over into categories they shouldn't be in please report them. Some times compilation authors can get a little over zealous on their category choosing.
I have to say even for my own interface I have choosen to many categories, many were doing this to get their interface shown at the top of any category you choose. Thats the problem.
I have edited the post above to how I woud like to see the categorys. If everyone woud be asked this 3 questions a) b) c) it woud be great the first question a) for the look of the UI woud make the main Category else show the UI in outdated Compilations. The b) and c) shoud be a filter option in any of the Categorys

(Multiple Categories: Disable this feature if you only want to see files in their main categories.)
Very helpfull thanks.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Interface categorys