View Single Post
07-02-14, 07:12 AM   #1
Codelogic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Getting started - Help appreciated :)

Greetings,

I'd like to start off by introducing myself.
My name is Simon, i'm 22 years old and i live in Denmark, therefore if my English seems out of sentence, please note that i do not have English as my native language. If you have questions to or is confused about anything i say/write, please just tell me and i will try to rephrase it.

From other languages like C# and Visual Basics i know how to work around a few things, like the different loops, such as a For loop. I also happen to know how to use Logical behaviors such as If, ElseIf, Else statements and how to invoke different operators to evaluate conditions.

But C# and Visual Basic was just a bit out of my league as i had no idea what to do with it and no projects came to mind. This has been quite a long time ago and my knowledge is rusty. I would like to start from scratch, and that is why i ask here for advice. Below is a list of questions/requests i'd like to get solved:
  • Guides to the .Lua language, including how to setup and "compile" the code. (Videos preferred)
  • Guides and Reference to development of World of Warcraft AddOns.
  • Guides to combine and learn .Lua and .XML. (If XML is necessary or recommended)
  • Idea's for a starter AddOn, not a "Hello World!" but something that is both simple and visual or 'useful'. (Could be anything from showing a ToolTip to Targeting a specific Mob by it's ID or something)
  • Text Editors/IDE's (NotePad++, Sublime Text 3, etc)
  • Other things you might find valuable for starters.

I wrote Compile in the first listed item, as i believe this is probably known to everyone what that means. But as far as i can tell, .Lua is using an interpreter?

Regards,
Codelogic