View Single Post
04-03-17, 07:45 AM   #8
Jarod24
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Layback_ View Post
Hi all,
So for this time I am attempting to make an addon that modifies chat message sent by myself before it is being displayed(?) on other player's screen for links like item, quest, etc.

The reason that I am trying to make this is because I am using a different client locale with others and those links that I send is created based on my locale, not theirs.

Clicking the link will display the tooltip on their own locale, but I am willing to avoid this.

I would say modifying chat message isn't that hard, but modifying link's display text within chat message would be a challenge here.

What was worse, I have to modify that display text from one locale to another in this specific case, thus I don't think it is doable.

Any idea, please?

I wrote an addon that did the opposite; translated all incoming hyperlinks (items, achievements etc) into my own locale.
The reason; I run an English client, but other guildmates are running on Italian/German clients and it was confusing as hell when they linked me achievements that were in their language.

I stopped updating it because it was not that popular.
You can still find it here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ranslator.html

The addon basically would scan the incoming chat, lookup any hyperlinks if found on it's own and do a replacement if it's string did not match what the client returned on its own.