View Single Post
11-25-13, 07:37 AM   #15
Rainrider
A Firelord
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
WoWI has this feature. Go to http://svn.wowinterface.com/ and click on the repo you want to browse.

Addon authors can choose to de-list their repositories, though. Personally, I've de-listed all of of mine because if I don't, people get overly excited about every alpha commit, and start hounding me to know when the new feature or new addon I'm working on will be finished.
Oh nice to know, they have it. I see git.wowinterface.com too. Where is syntax highlighting? Where is the link to the download page and vice versa? I understand WoWI is user centric and mixing it up with development stuff will imply the issues with communication you mention. That's why I prefer github to that end, it's about reading code, not downloading it.

Whyyyyyyyyyy? Having started out my technological life using DOS, the invention of the GUI was like the invention of indoor plumbing. I just don't understand why you would willingly subject yourself to using the command line to type out a whole series of long commands to perform a common task, when you could just click a single button instead.
This is just for the virtual guide through my workflow. It is easier to write down a command than to describe clicking through menus in some specific GUI. I personally use msysGit's GUI. I like the command line though. One never has "where do I find that" questions And my approach, even on the command line, seems faster than you up- and downloading zips.

-- but as I mentioned before, I think asking the average addon user to sign up with another site just to report a bug is an unnecessary barrier.
You are right here, it is not optimal to make the user sign up for a site she doesn't have any other use of, just to write a ticket. But I give my code away and I don't want anything in return (again, I only released one tiny addon on an addon site ). I don't even have a donate button or something. So if a user does not want to make an effort to help fixing a problem they have, then I'm perfectly fine if they go the easier route of just replacing my addon.