View Single Post
03-23-11, 02:35 AM   #48
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by timmerino View Post
Oh, sorry, I didn't notice this disclaimer. I'll be sure to compare it with the numbers on Curse.

On a related note, I was surprised to find that "Recount" recently surpassed "DBM" on Curse as the most downloaded AddOn. What do you all think about this development?
DBM has their own website (http://www.deadlybossmods.com/) and host alpha/beta versions of their addon there. People go there directly to download the latest code with, for example, slightly fixed timers for various bosses, especially the latest BWD boss timers. Recount on the other hand, hosts alpha/betas directly on wowace/curse.

Gatherer and a number of other addons (for eg, Atlas) also have their own dedicated websites, thus you need to take into account these factors.

You also need to decide between counting an addon's "user install base" which is X amount of users installed this on their PC, versus "Y amount of downloads", which is a number that only counts downloads, so if AddonM released a new update every 2 days, it would attract more downloads. X is measurable only by Curse Client data (which is what my top 12 authors on Curse approxs half the downloads, if you only count 1 user downloading exactly once, and obviously only counts Curse Client users), while Ketho's damage is based on Y. I am unsure if either site shows or counts Y on multiple downloads from the same IP address. You need to research/figure that out, and not blindly use numbers.

You can also email me about an interview.

Edit: My email is @pacific.net.sg

Last edited by Xinhuan : 03-23-11 at 02:49 AM.