View Single Post
03-24-09, 04:06 PM   #482
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lordlundar View Post

2. It's my livelihood

I'm gonna sound like a little jerk for this, but bear with me, as I often see this with "I'm a professional programmer" That only has the AddOns in their portfolio. If you are a professional programmer, then why is your livelihood based around a game someone else made that you are simply attaching yourself on? If you are such a good coder as you say, You should be able to make your own programs and charge for them that have no dependencies. I know what the response will be for this: "Blizzard is going to sue us if we do." I'm not talking about a program for WoW, I'm talking about your own programs. Not AddOns or Mods. You want to prove you're a professional, then prove you don't need to hang onto someone else.
You're assuming that they're all children who have nothing better to do with their time than to play with code. Just because addon authors aren't freely handing out their resume` with each addon they create doesn't mean they don't get a regular paycheck from elsewhere for programming that supports their families or themselves. As for creating addons and getting paid to make them or getting donations... apparently you've never heard of supplemental income.

There is not a single addon author out there that needs, or should have to, prove anything to you or anyone else.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by Petrah : 03-24-09 at 04:24 PM.