View Single Post
10-13-08, 07:35 PM   #72
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Some quotes for you guys from the first page of this thread. Either you've forgotten that they've been said, or you haven't read the first page.

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Our stance on WoWMatrix is pretty well summed up in the reasons why we *won't* do stuff with our updater.
That linked thread says this:
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
It was intended as gentle teasing. Hence the silly tongue-sticking-out smilie.

No undermining of efforts detected, no worries.

No, we won't be pulling from other sites for a couple of reasons:

a) that is violation of author copyright (redistribution) - if they want us to be able to distribute their mods for them, they upload here;
b) because the authors aren't uploading to it themselves it isn't current, so authors get users b!tching at them about bugs that they've already fixed and users are getting old versions that may have problems;
c) you don't go pulling from someone else's site without their permission (see a), plus the fact that it takes away their page views and ad impressions, all of which are big no nos.

Other apps do these things, but we won't. I know it is less than convenient for our users, for which I'm sorry, but to do otherwise wouldn't be moral, ethical or legal. Sorry. =/
Yes, we have tried to circumvent their theft. So has Curse, etc.
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Not to mention that when an effort is made to circumvent their theft, they find another brute force way to haxxor in and steal it.
We do not endorse the other cross-site updaters, either, but:
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
There are other cross-site updaters which are more reputable and respectful than wowmatrix.

Yes, we do have our own site updater. No, it's not 100% in the way of what people would like it to be. That's why it is going to be rewritten.

I'm sad to come back from a weekend at BlizzCon to see a thread full of flames, people not caring about author or hosting site rights, and users too blind to see what the ease of using wowmatrix actually costs the authors and hosting sites it leeches from. I also agree that this thread has run its course. We are not finished trying to protect our downloads (yes, we have been trying to prevent wowmatrix from accessing them, as noted in a quote above), but we would also like to do it in a way so as not to inconvenience our users.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh