WoWInterface

WoWInterface (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/index.php)
-   AddOn Search/Requests (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Light weight bag addon (https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45468)

Jeremypwnz 12-18-12 04:46 AM

Light weight bag addon

Looking for a lightweight bag addon that provides practically no functionality but combines everything into one bag (and the bank as one bag). Preferably lua configured. I don't really like in-game configuration much anymore.

I've tried many bag addons: Onebag3/Onebank3, Onebag4, TBags, Bagnon, Arkinventory, ect. But they are practically heavyweight addons and/or give me too many features I don't particularly care for. My current bag addon, Onebag3, is using about 900kb on the average day.

I recently saw bBag, exactly what I was looking for! I downloaded it and unfortunately it doesn't work. Is there any bag addon remotely close to this, or possibly a fan-updated version of bBag I can bum off the WoWinterface community? I can configure lua addons, but I haven't the slightest clue on making or fixing addons.

Vlad 12-18-12 09:55 AM

The amount of memory does not mean lightweight, in reality lightweight is addons that use low CPU cycles, in combat this is most noticeably if you run a lot of addons that eat CPU cycles, you get lower fps. Just having an addon use 5MB memory all the time doesn't mean it's not lightweight. :P

Point is, all the addons you mentioned, even Bagnon (I use) are not so "high tech" that you need a more, function wise, limited addon. You can disable the bank modules and just use "Bagnon" (the main addon) to only handle bags and character bank frames.

I can't speak for all addons, but for Bagnon I know you can configure to appear very simple and feature-less, i.e. give you the feel that it's simple. :P

I just don't want you to think lightweight is directly correlated to the memory an addon uses! ;)

Seerah 12-18-12 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad (Post 270835)
TI just don't want you to think lightweight is directly correlated to the memory an addon uses! ;)

This ^^. I could write you an addon that is <1kb that will hang your client until you get kicked from the server. Or crash, even. ;)

I second giving Bagnon another try. Disable the modules you don't wish for it to use. :)

Unkn 12-18-12 04:11 PM

Oh man Jeremy >.< This is definately something you could have bugged me about in game :)

But totally agree with everyone else thats posted. Bagnon is a great option, since so much of it can be turned off or on depending on your needs.

Jeremypwnz 12-18-12 07:00 PM

Well, I learned something, kinda. Gonna rock Bagnon once again but I would prefer a LUA configured bag addon to the in-game configured ones. If there are any of those that would be nice.

Seerah 12-18-12 09:58 PM

I can't think of one off the top of my head, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. :)

Again though, static memory is perfectly fine. You probably have... what? At least 1GB of RAM on your system? ;)

Phanx 12-19-12 12:28 AM

1 GB of RAM is the bare-bones minimum for 32-bit Windows 7 (64-bit requires at least 2 GB); you're probably not running any games with that, at least not at playable framerates. I'm sitting here right now on a system with 8 GB of RAM, with current total system memory use at 3.9 GB. Task Manager reports that my browser is using 350 MB, uTorrent is using 64 MB, and Dropbox is using 56 MB, which -- since nothing else is running -- means that Windows' incredibly fat behind is sitting on well over 3 GB of RAM. What it can possibly need all of that space for, I have no idea, but 1 GB of RAM sounds really painful.

Out of curiosity, I checked the requirements for Windows XP... 32 MB for Home, 64 MB for Pro. Nice bloat, Microsoft. :(

Anyway, there's no real value in Lua configuration vs. in-game configuration. Just use the addons that look the way you want and provide the features you wan't, and don't worry about how many KB of memory they are using unless you're actually seeing an impact on the performance of your game client.

10leej 12-19-12 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz (Post 270856)
Well, I learned something, kinda. Gonna rock Bagnon once again but I would prefer a LUA configured bag addon to the in-game configured ones. If there are any of those that would be nice.

Yeah not really a lot of those around for bag addons. Best I can think of if you really wanna use lua configured would be the bag addon from Mono UI

Rusken 12-19-12 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10leej (Post 270876)
Yeah not really a lot of those around for bag addons. Best I can think of if you really wanna use lua configured would be the bag addon from Mono UI

Im tryed this but you can unfortunatelly not change the font that are used in the bags unless you have the rest of his UI, or that's my quess atleast because there's nothing about it in the .cfg.

Tim 12-19-12 11:42 AM

Sure you can change the font in m_Bags. If your preference is lua configured addons one would assume you would be able to change basic stuff in mods through lua as well.

If you open m_Bags.lua and search for the string "font" it will take you to line 235. Below that on lines 237, 244, 277, 283 and 360 will allow you to alter the paths and set your own font.

Dawn 12-19-12 05:26 PM

m_Bags is kinda a "maintained CargBags". And it got some flaws at times. However, it's the closest you can get to what you want, atm. Without writing your own.

Petrah 12-20-12 01:21 AM

I've always thought Cogwheel said and explained it the best:

Quote:

Posted by Cogwheel, one of the authors of World of Warcraft Programming(First Edition):

Unless you are an addon developer, you generally don't need to concern yourself with addon memory usage. In and of itself, memory use says absolutely nothing about how an addon impacts WoW's performance. WoW itself uses an order of magnitude or more RAM than even the most memory-intensive UIs.

Data mods like Auctioneer will always show HUGE numbers compared to other addons but they don't do any processing whatsoever unless you're actively using them (scanning the AH). By the same token, many memory-efficient mods can use up an extraordinary amount of CPU time (damage/threat meters, for instance).

As a user, you should never judge an addon's worth by the amount of memory it uses. For a real test, use CPU profiling which is also included in PerformanceFu. Another mod I like for this purpose is AddonManager.

Source.